Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Senior Behavioral Researcher
at Wells Fargo
At Wells Fargo, we want to satisfy our customers’ financial needs and help them succeed financially. We’re looking for talented people who will put our customers at the center of everything we do. Join our diverse and inclusive team where you’ll feel valued and inspired to contribute your unique skills and experience.
Help us build a better Wells Fargo. It all begins with outstanding talent. It all begins with you.
The Payments, Virtual Solutions, and Innovation (PVSI) team includes Operations, Consumer Credit Card, Retail Services, Consumer Deposits, the Innovation Group, Treasury Management, Merchant Services and Wells Fargo Virtual Channels and the professional services teams that partner with these businesses. PVSI's focus is on delivering the next generation of payments and deposit capabilities and advancing our digital and online offerings to design new customer experiences and products. Our guiding principles are to start with the customer, move faster, and partner effectively.
As a Senior Behavioral Researcher with Wells Fargo, you will have the opportunity to help improve the financial lives of millions of customers. You will collaborate with colleagues across the Innovation Group - product managers, researchers, technologists, and designers. The research and opportunities you develop will directly influence product design and investment decisions. As part of the Strategic Design team, you will join small, intrapreneurial team of curious human-centered problem solvers with an awesome culture.
KEY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Leading behavioral research and designing experiments related consumer financial wellness. Including generating hypotheses for studies and experiments, managing a research agenda, executing research projects end-to-end (including study design, data gathering, analysis, and communication of data-driven recommendations to influence product design), and measuring results of implemented recommendations. Building a living knowledge base that evolves based on ongoing learning. Guiding and direct more junior team members supporting projects
- Collaborating with product teams and designers to create solutions leading to consumer behavior change. As the behavioral science expert, ensure that product design incorporates behavioral insights and behavioral science best practices to help customers make progress financially (i.e. increasing short & long-term savings, decreasing expenses, and better managing debt)
- Building awareness and understanding a behavioral science with colleagues within IG and across the company (ex. toolkits, training and mentoring others, modeling best practices). Serve as a mentor to less experienced researchers. Create and deliver compelling talks and papers for general audience
This role requires a person with curiosity and a passion for inquiry, comfort with ambiguity, and an entrepreneurial/learning mindset. Self-motivated and flexible, this person will be adept at both creative and analytical thinking, and have a strong desire to help people improve their financial lives.
A Successful Candidate Will Demonstrate:
- Deep expertise in behavioral/social science
- Experience with end-to-end research in an applied context: Literature review, hypothesis generation, study design, statistics, analysis, writing, crafting recommendations, measuring results. Ability to balance possibilities from research and customer insights with the pragmatism of getting customer-facing changes to market
- Experience as the leading complex projects. Leads more junior team members, models effective behaviors, and influences fellow leaders
- Experience consulting with and influencing leaders. Ability and confidence to provide direction to leaders and ask difficult questions in a productive manner, able to be agile and to model a learning mindset. Excellent interpersonal skills and collaborative style with the ability to influence without authority, inspire engagement, and drive diverse stakeholders to a common solution
- Experience creating and delivering compelling talks, presentations, and papers for general audience. Impeccable communication and presentation skills. Able to present complex topics in a simple and compelling manner
- Ability to train, mentor, and support junior team members
Strong preference for San Francisco, CA location, however other Wells Fargo locations may be considered.
Other Desired Qualifications
- Masters in Sociology, Psychology, Anthropology, Social Science, or other related research discipline. Relevant experience must be in social or behavioral sciences
- PhD in Sociology, Psychology, Anthropology, Social Science, or other related research discipline
- Strong analytical skills with high attention to detail and accuracy
- Advanced Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint) skills
- Ability to identify and manage complex issues and negotiate solutions within a geographically dispersed organization
- Facilitation skills, including ability to facilitate decision-making and broker agreements amongst diverse, differing, and/or conflicting perspectives/priorities
- Familiarity with Design Thinking, UCD approaches or similar methods for problem solving
- 5+ years industry experience
- Experience using standard software packages to analyze and visualize quantitative and/or qualitative data (e.g., SPSS, NVivo, R, Stata, Tableau)
- Proficiency in quantitative research methods and analysis, particularly survey design, analysis, and multivariate and inferential statistics. Experience designing "randomized control trial" experiments, ideally within laboratory and in-field environments
- Proficiency in qualitative research methodologies such as interviews, focus groups, diary studies, observations, and other relevant human data collection approaches
- Experience designing experiments to test hypothesis, and measuring results
- Experience or strong interest in financial health
- Experience leading other researchers, formally or informally
- Demonstrated ability to influence leaders and product owners with a collaborative approach
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to communicate effectively to both technical and nontechnical audiences
CA-SF-Financial District: 333 Market St - San Francisco, CA
IA-West Des Moines: 7001 Westown Pkwy - West Des Moines, IA
NC-Charlotte: 301 S Tryon St - Charlotte, NC
MN-Minneapolis: 600 S 4th St - Minneapolis, MN
NY-New York: 150 E 42nd St - New York, NY
AZ-PHX-Northwest Phoenix: 11601 N Black Canyon Hwy - Phoenix, AZ
CO-Denver: 1740 Broadway - Denver, CO
All offers for employment with Wells Fargo are contingent upon the candidate having successfully completed a criminal background check. Wells Fargo will consider qualified candidates with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable local, state and Federal law, including Section 19 of the Federal Deposit Insurance Act.
Relevant military experience is considered for veterans and transitioning service men and women.
Wells Fargo is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer, Minority/Female/Disabled/Veteran/Gender Identity/Sexual Orientation.