Volunteers of America
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
at Volunteers of America
Come join the Volunteers of America and expand your career with us!
The Homestead at Rochester is seeking a LEAD COOK to join its team in the Legacy Dining Area. We offer great wages and flexibility, combined with the benefits of being a part of the Volunteers of America family.
Take advantage of our scholarship programs and advance.
- 403b Retirement Savings
**BONUS**BONUS**BONUS** Excellence Bonuses - Quarterly bonuses available for employees that participate in:
- Refer a friend
- Staying with the Family - Years of Service
- Committee involvement
- Become a coach and mentor new incoming staff members
Employees scheduled 24 hours per week are eligible for Dental, Vision and PTO benefits. Employees scheduled 30 or more hours per week are eligible for Medical, Dental, Vision and PTO benefits. The 403b Retirement Savings benefit is available for employees that are scheduled 20 hours per week and above.
Core job responsibilities:
- Completes defined food preparation, serving of meals and cleaning duties according to proper procedures, using various dietary equipment and supplies, as assigned by the Director of Dietary and Management Team.
- Plans and initiates cooking schedule for food preparation to meet meal schedule.
- Prepares, seasons, cooks and serves meat, main dish, soup and vegetable for assigned meal; ensures appropriate portioned servings according to portion control standards.
- Monitors temperature of hot and cold foods through food preparation and service to ensure that established temperature goals are met prior to steam table transfer and maintained throughout meal service.
- Takes orders and serves meals in the dining room.
1. Friendly and enjoy working with the elderly.
2. High School diploma or equivalent education.
3. Education in quantity cooking and therapeutic diets preferred.
4. Must be at least eighteen (18) years of age or older.
5. Minimum of one year food service experience in an industrial setting preferred. General knowledge of quantity food preparation and portioned serving required.
6. Ability to communicate and work effectively with various levels of staff, residents, and family members.
7. Numerical ability necessary to make various computations in keeping work record, monitoring inventory control and supplies, and in recipe preparation.
8. Possesses adequate strength and endurance to meet the strenuous physical demands of preparing and carrying quantity foods.
9. Possesses coordination and dexterity required to prepare food and operate Food equipment.
10. Able to understand and follow procedures, recipe directions.
11. Visual acuity and color discrimination for examining cooked and stored foods; taste and smell discrimination in determining nutritional quality and palatability of foods.
12. Works in an area that is often very hot/cold.
13. Ability to utilize computers and other electronic devices for tasks such as timekeeping, in-servicing and documentation.