Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Direct Care Counselor
at Urban Peak
Direct Care Counselor
19 - 105
Urban Peak Colorado Springs (UPCS) serves approximately 600 youth each year. In order to meet the holistic needs of these young adults, UPCS provides wraparound services like outreach, shelter, substance abuse and mental health counseling, medical assistance, family reunification assistance, case management, education services, employment assistance, affordable housing options, and recreational activities. These services prepare youth to leave the dangers of street life, reunite with their families or take steps toward self-sufficiency.
The youth served at the shelter come from a variety of backgrounds, and we strive to be a safe community for all youth, regardless of race, ethnicity, national origin, religion, class, educational background, sexual orientation, gender identity, or ability status.
Under the supervision of the Shelter Supervisor, the Direct Care Counselor will be responsible for providing direct supervision of youth at Urban Peak Colorado Springs shelter. This includes assisting youth in increasing self-efficacy and reducing risky behavior, ensuring client safety, providing delivery of appropriate and effective program services and maintaining a safe and positive environment. Duties include supervision of youth in accordance with facility rules and regulations, crisis intervention, facilities maintenance, group facilitation, promotion of a therapeutic environment, accurate, timely and consistent data collection, and data entry. This position will ensure that interactions, interventions and environments at Urban Peak are trauma informed and emphasize the physical and emotional safety of youth and staff. This position will ensure that interactions, interventions and environments at Urban Peak are trauma informed and emphasize the physical and emotional safety of youth and staff.
- A Bachelor’s degree in social work or psychology with experience working in a shelter environment is highly desired; or two (2) years of college in psychology, sociology or social work or a related field and some experience working with high-risk adolescent population; or high school diploma or equivalent and two (2) years’ experience working with high-risk, adolescent populations in a shelter, residential, or transitional housing environment
- Able to connect and work effectively with a diverse, resistant street youth population
- Exercise discretion and independent judgment, set clear and appropriate boundaries with youth
- Knowledge and understanding issues of the homeless adolescent population, mental health issues, and substance abuse among high-risk young adults
- Provide services that are trauma informed, appropriate, and effective
- Problem solving skills (multi-tasking, assessment, organization and prioritization)
- Team oriented and able to coordinate with various departments and staff
- Understanding of the provision of and commitment to trauma informed care
- Must be QMAP certified or eligible for QMAP certification
- Must be insurable as a driver on Urban Peak’s auto liability policy to transport youth using an Urban Peak vehicle or an approved personal vehicle
- Must pass both federal and state background checks
- Must pass pre-employment TB screening
All Direct Care Counselor positions will be responsible for performing the general work duties listed:
- Accurately document admission record and record actual services received by clients or tenants
- Collect and maintain accurate data on an ongoing basis
- Document relevant and significant events that occur during the shift in the Communication Log
- Maintain clear and effective communication with other staff regarding clients or tenants
- Limited case management responsibilities will require maintenance of thorough and accurate files
- Work to ensure confidentiality
- Provide milieu supervision and work to ensure the safety of the youth and their environment
- Assure that youth maintain cleanliness of the shelter environment
- Provide direction and support to youth on the completion of daily chores and other milieu activities
- Maintain a welcoming presence; and support youth who come into the shelter
- Collect and record necessary intake information to reflect the needs of clients
- Assess appropriateness of client admission to shelter and forward data to intake supervisor for additional follow-up
- Facilitate group activities and discussions
- A limited caseload may be assigned to this position as the primary case manager (provided that the Counselor has the appropriate credentials)
- Additional case management meetings may be required
- Crisis intervention with current clients
- Crisis intervention phone counseling, as needed
Facility Maintenance & Safety
- Ensure walkways and doorways are free of debris and/or snow
- Assist youth with shelter and grounds cleanliness
- Patrol the property as needed
- Ensure that the grounds and interior common areas is maintained in a clean and orderly fashion
- Support youth through supervision and model appropriate property maintenance by assisting with issues
This is a part time position at 30 hours a week that includes weekend hours in an assigned schedule, as well as
coverage for several holiday shifts annually. Requires some flexibility to attend meetings and cover shifts as needed, being on-call for client emergencies and serving as on-call staff on a rotating basis throughout the year.
HOURS: Monday through Friday 5P-11P
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS
The starting hourly rate for this position is $12.92. Our benefits package includes life, disability, medical & dental insurance, 403(b) plan, paid time off, sick time bereavement time, jury duty, and holidays.
Please submit cover letter, resume, and the names and telephone numbers of three (3) professional and/or academic references to:
Urban Peak Colorado Springs
ATTN: Human Resources
423 E Cucharras
Colorado Springs, CO 80903
All attachments should be in Microsoft Word (.doc) or portal document format (.pdf). In the subject field of the email include the job number, job title, and your first and last name. (Example: 012345 – HR Specialist – Doe, Jane).
This position will be filled as soon as a qualified candidate is identified. Due to limited staffing resources we are unable to respond to phone inquiries, including calls to check on the status of a submitted application. Applicants will only be contacted if selected for an interview. This job announcement is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, or qualifications associated with the position.
Urban Peak is an equal opportunity employer and seeks a diverse pool of applicants.