UNM Medical Group
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Medical Director, Primary Care
at UNM Medical Group
Commensurate with experience
# of Openings:
Job Code/Title: R7022/ Medical Director, Primary Care
FLSA : Exempt
OPEN UNTIL FILLED
Between .5 FTE - 1.0 FTE
UNM Medical Group, Inc. (UNMMG) is the practice plan organization for physicians and other medical providers associated with the UNM Health Sciences Center. UNM Medical Group, Inc. is a New Mexico non-profit corporation and is an equal opportunity employer. UNMMG offers a competitive salary and an attractive benefit package which includes medical, dental, vision, and life insurance as well as tuition assistance, paid leave and 403b retirement for benefits eligible employees.
UNM Medical Group, Inc, is seeking a Medical Director to lead and develop UNMMG's new primary care clinic. The Medical Director is responsible for: leading the primary care staff and advancing the integrated care model with palliative and behavioral health; and educating our network partners in care and the community on the program and its benefits. The Medical Director is responsible for the medical care delivered, and oversight of the quality program and health outcomes.
The following statements are intended to describe, in broad terms, the general functions and responsibility levels characteristic of positions assigned to this classification. They should not be viewed as an exhaustive list of the specific duties and prerequisites applicable to individual positions that have been so classified.
The Medical Director (MD) oversees the administration of patient care for assigned area. Responsible for the development, implementation and oversight of an integrated clinical practice model that ensures compliance with any federal and state regulations and UNM Health System, and UNM Medical Group policies. Directly supervises physicians and collaborates with other clinicians to ensure a high standard of clinical delivery across patient care specialties within the unit. Provides direct patient care to assigned population of patients. Collaborates with practice manager in the oversight of high-quality clinical care, financial performance, and the achievement of Medical Group goals.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Ensures that medical and overall care is consistent with applicable laws, accreditation standards, rules and regulations; ensures that appropriate policies and procedures are followed.
- Responsible for implementing and reviewing clinical processes/protocols, clinical pathways, quality standards, resolution of patient complaints/grievances, and compliance measures in line with the mission of UNM Health, and reflects the core of the institutional constitution.
- Collaborates with UNMMG’s Chief Medical Officer and Associate Chief Medical Officer in developing performance objectives and productivity benchmarks for the Medical Group’s Primary Care Initiative.
- Develops, reviews, and implements provider workflow protocols and systems ensuring efficient, effective, and safe patient care.
- Achieve/maintain AAAHC clinic accreditation within next accreditation period and Patient Centered Medical Home Accreditation within three years of program initiative.
- Work to develop processes that achieve Health System and entity operating and quality metrics.
- Examines and coordinates all clinical activities of the Medical Group’s Primary Care Initiative guaranteeing the medical quality of care. Works to develop processes that achieve Health System and entity clinical, operating and quality metrics.
- Leads planning for new Primary Care clinical programs. Develop, implement and evaluate short/long-range goals in conjunction with UNMMG administration and other HSC leadership, as appropriate.
- Recommend changes for improvement in program content and in short/long-range planning in order to maintain competitiveness in the healthcare market.
- Collaborate with practice manager to develop and manage the unit or clinic’s annual budget and perform periodic cost and productivity analyses.
- Directly manages Medical Group Primary Care Providers, nurses, caregivers, and other clinic staff as appropriate. Responsible for provider scheduling.
- Communicates and addresses inefficiency of designated unit; which includes the productivity of staff and providers in efforts to improve patient care and patient access and assists in promoting a medical staff environment in which the Providers retain independent judgement and responsibility in the practice of medicine.
- Highly involved in Primary Care Provider recruitment and responsible for new Primary Care Provider onboarding and training.
- Ensure cost effectiveness and optimal performance in the delivery of care, unit quality, and personnel performance.
- Develops and maintains collaborative relationships with medical staff and health system employees to ensure effective, results-oriented outcomes.
- Attend and participate in professional meetings and committees, including internal and external leadership trainings; stay abreast of new trends and innovations.
- Performs miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
Minimum Job Requirements
MD/DO, eligible for licensure in State of New Mexico; Federal DEA Certification; Board Certified or Board Eligible in Family Medicine or Internal Medicine specialty. Must meet all credentialing and privileging requirements of the UNM Medical Group. Verification of education and licensure (if applicable) will be required if selected for hire.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required
- Knowledge of current principles, methods and procedures for the delivery of medical evaluation, diagnosis and treatment in area of expertise.
- Knowledge of legal and ethical standards for the delivery of medical care.
- Knowledge of relevant drugs and non-pharmaceutical patient care aids and ability to prescribe dosages and instruct patients in correct usage.
- Knowledge of community medical diagnostic and patient care services in area of medical expertise.
- Knowledge of related accreditation and certification requirements.
- Ability to work both independently and in a team environment.
Conditions of Employment
- Employees in this job title may be subject to the terms and conditions of an employment contract. If applicable, employment contracts are typically subject to review and renewal on an annual basis.
- Subject to UNM credentialing process; must maintain credentialed status.
- Basic life support (BLS) Certification.
- Must be employment eligible as verified by the U.S. Dept. of Health and Human Services Office of Inspector General (OIG) and the Government Services Administration (GSA).
- Must pass a pre-employment criminal background check.
- Fingerprinting, and subsequent clearance, is required.
- Must provide proof of varicella & MMR immunity or obtain vaccinations within 90 days of employment.
- Must obtain annual influenza vaccination.
- If this position is assigned to a clinical area, successful candidate will be required to complete a pre-placement medical evaluation/health screen. Required N-95 mask fitting, testing, vaccinations to include annual TST, Tdap, and Hepatitis B will be determined based on location and nature of position.
Working Conditions and Physical Effort
- Will work with blood or blood-borne pathogens and will require OSHA training.
- Occasional risk exposure to unusual elements such as toxic chemicals, bio-hazardous materials requiring awareness of safety precautions. May include the use of protective equipment.
- Physical Demand requirements are in excess of those for Light Work.
- Moderate physical activity. Requires exerting 20 to 50 pounds of force occasionally, 10 to 25 pounds of force frequently, and/or up to 10 pounds of force constantly to move objects.