UNM Medical Group
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
at UNM Medical Group
UNMMG Truman Health Services
# of Openings:
Job Code/Title: S0026/ Health Educator
FLSA: Non- Exempt
OPEN UNTIL FILLED
BEST CONSIDERATION DATE: March 7, 2019
UNM Medical Group, Inc. (UNMMG) is the practice plan organization for physicians and other medical providers associated with the UNM Health Sciences Center. UNM Medical Group, Inc. is a New Mexico non-profit corporation and is an equal opportunity employer. UNMMG offers a competitive salary and an attractive benefit package which includes medical, dental, vision, and life insurance as well as tuition assistance, paid leave and 403b retirement for benefits eligible employees.
Truman Health Services is a NCQA Patient Centered Medical Home which provides the highest level of care and latest treatment options for New Mexicans living with HIV, requiring gender services or seeking PrEP. We offer a variety of treatment services utilizing a holistic approach towards supporting our patients’ medical, social and mental health needs. Truman Health Services is seeking an experienced candidate to join our Community Health Resources Team.
UNM Truman Health Services is seeking a highly energetic, passionate health educator to engage with the community and provide education to a variety of individuals and community partners. The Health Educator will coordinate and facilitate the delivery of educational services to meet needs of the community under the direct supervision of the Community Health Resources Manager. Content will pertain to increasing knowledge of HIV health condition, preventive health behaviors, responsible sexual and substance use activity, and family planning.
Priority will be provided to candidates who are:
- Experienced working with patients living with HIV or substance use and/or abuse.
- Experienced working with the LGBTQ community.
- Experienced working in a community based multi-disciplinary setting.
- Bilingual English/Spanish.
Under general supervision, provides services relating to health education, health promotion, and disease identification and prevention. Conducts prevention intervention programs and shares responsibility for maintaining, enhancing and presenting health information and resources related to HIV/HCV and other relevant health issues. Performs a range of administrative functions required to ensure efficient program operation.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Plan, implement, and evaluate health promotion/disease prevention programs for clinic(s), school(s) and/or community in assigned area(s) including workshops, trainings, conferences, health campaigns, health fairs, and school or community presentations.
- Prepare and distribute health education materials, including reports, bulletins, and visual aids such as films, videotapes, photographs, and posters.
- Organize and/or assist with special events and outreach events, including planning, design, facilitation, promotion, and coordination.
- Provide clear, understandable, current, and accurate health related information and education to clients; provide information, education and referrals in a way that demonstrates respect, active listening skills, empathy, and patience.
- Assess high-risk individuals and assist them in decreasing their risk for identified health concerns using the stages of change model.
- Provide confidential rapid and confirmatory HIV, HCV, and other point of care testing, pre-test and post-test counseling, linkage to care, and referrals to walk-in and scheduled clients (CTR).
- Provide confidential and brief counseling as needed to HIV, HCV, and other point of care testing individuals, their partners, and relevant family members; provide crisis intervention services for HIV-positive clients.
- Perform various administrative duties related to Community Health Resources’ programs.
- Maintain professional growth and development through completion of required departmental competencies.
- Perform miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
Minimum Job Requirements
Bachelor's degree in a health, social services or equivalent field with at least 1 year of experience that is directly related to the duties and responsibilities specified OR High School diploma or GED with 5+ years of experience that is directly related to the duties and responsibilities specified. Verification of education and licensure will be required if selected for hire.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required
- Knowledge of health education and health behavior change.
- Ability to develop and deliver presentations.
- Ability to effectively communicate information, test results, diagnoses and/or proposed treatment in a manner easily understood by the client.
- Ability to draw conclusions and make recommendations based on research data and findings.
- Ability to resolve interpersonal problems, disputes and. crisis intervention.
- Knowledge of HIV testing and reporting laws/regulations in New Mexico
- Must be able to travel by car locally between facilities and within surrounding community.
Conditions of Employment
- NM driver’s license and ability to drive using own vehicle for community visits with mileage reimbursed at standard rates.
- Must be employment eligible as verified by the U.S. Dept. of Health and Human Services Office of Inspector General (OIG) and the Government Services Administration (GSA).
- Must pass a pre-employment criminal background check.
- Fingerprinting, and subsequent clearance, is required.
- Must provide proof of varicella & MMR immunity or obtain vaccinations within 90 days of employment.
- Must obtain annual influenza vaccination.
- If this position is assigned to a clinical area, successful candidate will be required to complete a pre-placement medical evaluation/health screen. Required N-95 mask fitting, testing, vaccinations to include annual TST, Tdap, and Hepatitis B will be determined based on location and nature of position.
Working Conditions and Physical Effort
- Work is normally performed in a typical interior/office work environment.
- No or very limited exposure to physical risk.
- No or very limited physical effort required.