UNM Medical Group
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
at UNM Medical Group
UNMMG Dental Services
# of Openings:
Job Code/Title: S0066 / Dental Hygienist
FOR BEST CONSIDERATION DATE: Open Until Filled
UNM Medical Group, Inc. (UNMMG) is the practice plan organization for physicians and other medical providers associated with the UNM Health Sciences Center. UNM Medical Group, Inc. is a New Mexico non-profit corporation and is an equal opportunity employer. UNMMG offers a competitive salary and an attractive benefit package which includes medical, dental, vision, and life insurance as well as tuition assistance, paid leave and 403b retirement for benefits eligible employees.
The Department of Dental Medicine is seeking a highly motivated individual to work as a Dental Hygienist. Under general supervision of a qualified Dentist, assesses patients at the Novitski Dental Clinic and other clinics as assigned. Plans and delivers direct dental care and associated services to special needs patients. Utilizes established dental hygiene and procedures. 5 years of 6-handed dentistry experience and special needs certification training is preferred.
The following statements are intended to describe, in broad terms, the general functions and responsibility levels characteristic of positions assigned to this classification. They should not be viewed as an exhaustive list of the specific duties and prerequisites applicable to individual positions that have been so classified.
Under general supervision of a qualified Dentist in an ambulatory care setting, assesses patient needs, and plans and delivers direct dental care and associated services to patients. Utilizes established dental hygiene protocol and procedures.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Assesses dental condition and needs of patient; uses patient screening procedures, to include medical history review, dental charting, and perio charting; takes patient vital signs as required.
- Delivers direct patient care to patients as assigned, using established dental hygienist procedures; performs routine treatment procedures, such as cleaning, polishing, x-rays, application of sealants and fluorides, and related procedures.
- Develops and implements individualized dental care plans for patients; performs patient education, discharge planning, and patient/family teaching under the supervision of a qualified dentist.
- Provides chair-side assistance to dentist in the performance of special tests, procedures, and complex treatments.
- Makes impressions of patients' teeth for study casts.
- Documents dental history or chief complaint; records and reports pertinent observations and patient reactions to dental staff, as appropriate; documents lab procedures and ensures follow up on results.
- Assists with or institutes emergency measures for sudden adverse developments during treatment of patients.
- Performs patient triage and initiates patient care as appropriate for walk-in patients.
- Assists in preparation of patient care areas, and in the patient admission, transfer, and discharge process, as required; prepares reports and assists as required with patient reception, telephone calls, routine triage, and other office duties.
- Performs miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
MINIMUM JOB REQUIREMENTS
Associate's degree; no previous work experience required. Current licensure as a Dental Hygienist in the State of New Mexico. Verification of education and licensure will be required if selected for hire.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
- Knowledge of Federal, State, and institutional regulations and guidelines for the provision of dental outpatient services.
- Ability to analyze medical records and prescribed protocol to formulate effective therapeutic treatment plans.
- Ability to set up and prepare dental equipment and instrumentation in accordance with established regulations and guidelines.
- Ability to perform a full range of established dental hygienist protocol and procedures
- Ability to communicate technical information to non-technical personnel.
- Knowledge and understanding of dental surgery and associated procedures, terminology, and techniques.
- Knowledge of patient admission, triage, transfer, and discharge procedures and documentation.
- Ability to independently perform emergency dental procedures.
- Ability to independently assess the nature and extent of dental, periodontic, and associated conditions and pathology in dental outpatients.
- Knowledge of patient screening, charting, and medical history procedures and documentation.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
- Basic life support (BLS) Certification.
- Must be employment eligible as verified by the U.S. Dept. of Health and Human Services Office of Inspector General (OIG) and the Government Services Administration (GSA).
- Must pass a pre-employment criminal background check.
- Fingerprinting, and subsequent clearance, is required.
- Must provide proof of varicella & MMR immunity or obtain vaccinations within 90 days of employment.
- Must obtain annual influenza vaccination.
- If this position is assigned to a clinical area, successful candidate will be required to complete a pre-placement medical evaluation/health screen. Required N-95 mask fitting, testing, vaccinations to include annual TST, Tdap, and Hepatitis B will be determined based on location and nature of position.
- Work is performed in an interior medical/clinical environment.
- Will work with blood or blood-borne pathogens and will require OSHA training.
- Occasional risk exposure to unusual elements such as toxic chemicals, bio-hazardous materials requiring awareness of safety precautions. May include the use of protective equipment.
- Moderate physical activity. Exerting 20 to 50 pounds of force occasionally, and/or 10 to 25 pounds of force frequently, and/or greater than negligible up to 10 pounds of force constantly to move objects.
- Physical Demand requirements are in excess of those for Light Work.