The University of New Mexico (UNM) Los Alamos branch invitesapplications and nominations for an experienced leader to the position of Deanof Instruction (Chief Academic Officer) of the UNM Los Alamos campus reportingdirectly to the Chancellor of the campus. The position is a 12 monthadministrative position carrying faculty rank.
UNM-Los Alamos is located approximately 90 miles north of Albuquerque and themain UNM campus. UNM-Los Alamos is fully accredited by the Higher LearningCommission of the North Central Association and offers transfer degrees, careertechnical certificates and degrees, adult education, community education,workforce development training, and a large range of dual credit programming inconjunction with area high schools. Los Alamos has a population ofapproximately 18,000 and is a county seat of the two population centers ofWhite Rock and Los Alamos. Los Alamos is home to the Los Alamos NationalLaboratory, established in 1943.
SUMMARY OF POSITION
The Dean of Instruction is the college's Chief Academic Officer with overallresponsibility for leadership and administration of the instructional programsand the faculty. Approximately 70 faculty (continuing and adjunct faculty) arefully engaged in the shared governance system. The Dean also oversees the Library,Academic Support Center, Adult Basic Education, and Community Educationactivities, which include a total of approximately seven staff members andnumerous non-credit instructors.
The Dean is a member of the Campus ExecutiveLeadership Team providing overall guidance to instructional activities of thecampus under the leadership of the Chancellor.
The Dean's Leadership responsibilities include (not limited to):
- Encouraging and facilitating excellence in teaching, scholarly pursuits, andservice to the college and the community, with a special emphasis on studentsuccess.
- Academic planning, development and oversight of the instructional budget, andongoing review and assessment of all programs of the college.
- Working closely with the leadership of the faculty and the UNM -ABQ Office ofAcademic Affairs to oversee a Promotion and Tenure system and academicpersonnel processes.
- Encouraging facultyparticipation in the development and writing of grantproposals. Developing, writing, and overseeing grant projects and funds.
- Promoting educational innovation including instructional technologies throughthe college service area.
- Encouraging faculty development.
- Encouraging and promoting diversity, equity,and inclusion for students, faculty, and staff.
- Working to build close relationships withDeans and Department Chairs of academic programs on the Albuquerque and otherbranch campuses
- Serving as a member of the UNM Dean's Councilunder leadership of the UNM Provost and Vice-President of Academic Affairs.
- Maintaining close working relationships with area public schools, thenational laboratory, the business community, and others to ensure the on-goingrelevance of academic programs to the needs of the community.
- Ensuring all faculty recruitment and hiring processes are effective andcompliant with current policy, regulations and laws.
- Overseeing the Academic Support Center, the Library, Adult Basic Education,and Community Education.
- Overseeing all aspects of the academic curriculum and course offeringsincluding, but not limited to, the creation of all schedules of classes as wellas the creation and editing of the course catalog.
- Overseeing all faculty, academic department and program chairs, Office ofInstruction staff, and academic support services.
- Representing the UNM-LA campus at variouslocal, state, and national events.
- Creating a vision, strategy and plan to identifyand grow the academic programs that are appropriate for our campus.
Salary range: $98,000 - $110,000 per salary
For complete details or to apply, visit https://UNMJobs.unm.edu andreference the Posting Number. Questions, please contact Kathryn Vigil, Directorof Student Affairs, email@example.com
The University of New Mexico is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative ActionEmployer and Educator.
- An earned doctorate or equivalent terminal degree from an accreditedinstitution
- Five years of experience in a teaching appointment at an accreditedinstitution
- Three years of administrative experience related to the duties andresponsibilities specified
- The ability to qualify for tenure and a faculty appointment at the rank ofAssociate Professor or Professor at UNM-Los Alamos
Demonstrated success in:
- Five years of experience in a tenure track teaching appointment at anaccredited institution
- Activities signifying a commitment todiversity, equity, inclusion
- Activities signifying a commitment to studentsuccess
- Overseeing a university Promotion and Tenuresystem, including annual reviews of faculty, and faculty goal setting
- Supervising faculty who hold continuing and contingent appointments,including tenure stream, long term lecturer contracts, and adjuncts
- Developing and overseeing complex instructional budgets
- Developing successful grant proposals andoverseeing programmatic funding, for example grants (private, state, andfederal) and experience administering these funded activities
- Overseeing Curriculum Development, Student Learning Outcomes Assessment, andProgram Review
- Overseeing successful use of applications of instructional technologyincluding e-learning, distance learning, and classroom/curriculum managementsystems
- Developing and implementing Technical and Professional Programming leading toa certificate or degree
- Working collaboratively with other areas within a higher educationinstitution, including Student Services, Business Operations, and others
- Working collaboratively within a branch campus/main campus system
- Working collaboratively with local businesses, schools, governments, and thecommunity at large to identify and meet educational and workforce needs
- Strategic course planning skills to maximize enrollment
- Strong administrative experience and skills andthe ability to make difficult decisions in a transparent and consultative manner
- Demonstrated excellence in leading/managing anorganization
- Experience working with a collectivebargaining unit
- Experience in developing community, industry,funding agencies, foundation, and other external partnerships
- Excellent written and oral communicationskills and the ability to be an effective spokesperson for the campus
- Interest in and ability to build faculty andstudent success in connection with student research projects and internshipopportunities - A commitment to transparency in policy, strategy, and financialmanagement, with an appreciation of and support for shared governance
- Highest ethical standards in all matters
- Excellent skills in working with a variety ofpeople and an ability to bring people together and work towards shared visions
|Application Instructions|| |
Only applications submitted throughthe official UNMJobs site will be accepted. If you are viewing this jobadvertisement on a 3rd party site, pleasevisit UNMJobs to submit an application.A complete application will also have a cover letter that addresses the minimum and preferred requirements stated, curriculum vitae, and a list of three (3) professional references, two (2) of which should be supervisory references. The University of New Mexico is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class.
Applicants who are appointed to a UNM faculty position are required to provide an official certification of successful completion of all degree requirements prior to their initial employment with UNM.
The University of New Mexico is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class.