The Geo Group
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
at The Geo Group
Facility: SOUTHERN PEAKS REGIONAL TREATMENT CENTER
Compensation Bonus (if applicable):
Equal Opportunity Employer.
ABRAXAS YOUTH & FAMILY SERVICES-SOUTHERN PEAKS REGIONAL TREATMENT CENTER
Under direct supervision of the Education Director or Assistant Principal the Teacher, Alternative is responsible for providing specialized instruction in one or more subjects to clients in order to help them learn the subject matter and/or skills.
- Employs a wide variety of instructional methods, behavioral tools, and materials that are most appropriate for meeting standard operating procedures and educational objectives that are outlined in the school curriculum.
- Creates a classroom environment that is conducive to learning and appropriate to the clients’ maturity.
- Creates and maintains accurate client/administrative documents such as daily attendance and grade books; summarizes achievements in reports for assigned clients including attendance and behavior.
- Develops daily lesson plans and completes all required educational paperwork.
- Participates as an educational team member in coordination with the clients, staff, and school and represents the program in professional meetings.
- Develops therapeutic relationships with residents, significant others and providers; uses communication skills to engage them in the treatment process.
- Develops and maintains appropriate professional boundaries between self, staff, resident, and providers and identifies issues related to ethics and boundaries, as identified in the Code of Ethics.
- Effectively uses written, verbal, and non-verbal communication; uses clinically appropriate forms and records, accurately and timely documenting resident assessment planning and progress.
- Maintains appropriate credentials and pursues internal and/or external training and development opportunities.
- Adheres to confidentiality requirements.
- Attends mandatory in-services.
- Knowledge of job responsibility in emergency.
- Knowledge of responsibility regarding actions to end, to minimize, and report risks.
- Supports the Abraxas philosophy and mission and promotes the Seven Key Principles of care.
- Demonstrates appropriate use of Safe Crisis Management techniques and skills.
The following educational requirements are acceptable for this classification including:
- Bachelor’s degree in related field in subject matter that is utilized for teaching experience. Experience working with the population of the hiring unit is preferred.
- Must be willing to participate in or already in a state approved Alternative Teaching Program with long-term substitute or current Alternative Teaching License; must have state issued Professional Teacher License within twenty-four (24) months from entering a Teacher, Alternative position.
- At least twenty-one (21) years of age.
- Criminal clearances (Act 33 and 34, specific State & child clearances and, if necessary, FBI).
- Non-communicable diseases physical exam.
- Valid driver's license from employee’s state of residence.
- Valid registered vehicle insurance.
- Ability to work with computers and the necessary software typically used by the department.