The Geo Group
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
SUBSTANCE ABUSE COUNSELOR DRC
at The Geo Group
Facility: RS MERCED CA DRC
Compensation Bonus (if applicable):
Equal Opportunity Employer.
This position assists in developing, organizing, and conducting programs to provide education for conditions and problems relating to drug and alcohol abuse. Conducts or assists in conducting individual or group counseling sessions and programs. Learns, uses and models principles of the “What Works” system through evidence-based practices in all interactions with clients and other staff members.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following: Other duties may be assigned.
- Coordinates substance abuse program at an office or group of offices using principles of the “What Works” system. Schedules intakes, and group and individual sessions. Discusses specific cases with case managers to determine if they are appropriate for substance abuse treatment. May assist with the assignment of cases.
- Facilitates psycho-educational/behavior modification groups using principles of the “What Works” system. Documents participants’ attendance, participation and progress in Company database.
- Conducts risk/need assessments and creates individual treatment plans for each assigned participants’. Meets regularly with participants’ and documents participants’ progress or regress in Company database.
- Notifies the Program Manager and CDCR staff of any problems/issues involving any program or participant services/treatment plan.
- Conducts and participates in case conferences for each participant assigned to the caseload.
- Conduct initial interviews of participants assigned to the SAT program.
- Review the participant’s services treatment plan with the Program Manager.
- Establishes and maintains relationships with outside referral sources, such as in-patient substance abuse facilities or detox facilities. Actively pursues and develops referrals from probation and evaluating agencies.
- Identifies problem areas that may impact participants’ ability to successfully complete treatment. Guides participants’ to develop strategies to overcome obstacles to success completion of treatment.
- May advise Customer of participants’ progress regularly or at completion of treatment.
- Collects participants’ fees for program participation. Tracks fee collection for office or group of offices.
- Ensures that participants’ records are accurately completed in a timely manner.
- May maintain a specific substance abuse treatment case file for every program participant.
- Selects and recommends new instructional materials and programs for use in the substance abuse program.
- Maintains knowledge of new developments in the field of substance abuse.
- Maintains a collegian relationship with other substance abuse professionals, programs, and associations.
- Participates in related training for substance abuse.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- High School Diploma or GED required; BA Degree preferred but not required
- Registered Alcohol Drug Technician (RADT) required; Alcohol and Drug (AOD) Counselor certification recognized by CCAPP or other certified Drug and Alcohol Program.
- Two (2) years experience providing substance abuse treatment and/or cognitive behavioral therapy services to an offender population preferred
- Ability to interact in a professional manner in both individual and group counseling settings
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Bilingual preferred but not required
- Ability to work with a team of professionals and have the ability to implement team strategy approaches to work assignments.
- Ability to work with computers and the necessary software typically used by the department
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER