The Geo Group
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
at The Geo Group
Compensation Bonus (if applicable):
Equal Opportunity Employer.
This position is 20 hours per week
We are seeking a Psychologist to provide mental health care services in a correctional facility. In this role, you will be responsible for the evaluation and treatment of inmates with mental, behavioral or emotional disorders. You will also use your expertise to help correctional facility staff to learn how to effectively work with inmates who may be experiencing a psychological crisis. This is an opportunity to join a world leading organization that provides diversified services to government agencies around the globe. We offer competitive pay, excellent benefits and a network of career opportunities.
As a Psychologist, you will serve as an active member of a multidisciplinary treatment team and as part of that team you will provide inmates with a range of mental health services. You will also intervene in crises whenever necessary with the goal of preventing escalation of those crises. It will also be part of your job as a Psychologist to provide correctional facility staff with education on how to recognize mental illness and how to prevent suicides.
Other responsibilities of the Counselor position include:
- Evaluating inmates to determine whether they have a mental illness
- Diagnosing inmates and determining the nature and extent of their disorders
- Developing individual treatment plans
- Providing psychotherapy treatment services, individual and group counseling
- Providing in-service education for medical and correctional staff
- Instructing staff and officers in crisis and suicide identification and prevention techniques
- Evaluating detainee/inmate mental status as to the need for transfer
- Performing rounds in the segregation unit
- Consulting with other staff regarding mental illness and treatments
- Supervising mental health counselors
- Determining if somebody needs to be placed on suicide observation status
- Participating in performance improvement activities
- Documenting all services provided and filling out required reports and analyses
- Consulting with the Physician or Psychiatrist as needed to determine proper care
As a Psychologist you must be observant and proactive, particularly in recognizing escalation of inmate psychological crises and intervening before inmate becomes suicidal. You must also have strong organizational and time management skills. It is also vital for your role as a Psychologist that you display excellent verbal and written communication and interpersonal skills and that you have the ability to function effectively as part of a team. You must also have a high degree of engagement and a sense of ownership in the facility, with the inmates and the services you provide.
Other requirements of the role include:
- Doctorate in Psychology (Ph.D. or Psy.D. or Ed.D.)
- Valid and current license to practice psychology in the state in which facility is located
- At least 2 years of experience as a practicing psychologist
- Corrections experience is a plus
- Basic computer proficiency
- Willingness to be flexible with regard to scheduling