The Geo Group
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
at The Geo Group
Facility: Brooks County Detention Center
Compensation Base: $45,183.00
Compensation Bonus (if applicable):
Equal Opportunity Employer.
This position functions as the shift commander by directing all security operations on a shift. It supervises staff and security and control activities and provides maximum facility coordination, inmate supervision and safety and prepares of records and reports.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Directs security activities and supervises custodial staff.
- Assists in the development and implementation of policies, procedures and regulations for custody, security and treatment of inmates.
- Conducts inspection tours to ensure compliance with all security, safety, sanitation, contraband, fire or other facility regulations.
- Reviews disciplinary matters concerning both staff and inmates.
- Reviews staff effectiveness and conducts frequent physical inspections of the facility to ensure compliance with policies and procedures.
- Responds to all unusual occurrences.
- Direct line supervision over correctional officers; makes assignments, reviews post orders and assures that all procedures including emergency procedures are in place and staff is trained in implementation of same.
- Promotes an atmosphere conducive to character development through the encouragement of favorable behavior patterns, arrangement of physical facilities and influencing relationships among inmates.
- Facilitates prompt and appropriate assistance to inmates in the event of injury, illness or emotional trauma.
- Gives primary guidance on situational problems; makes referrals for more complex problems.
- Supports, clarifies, and helps inmates relate to all programs of the facility.
- Prepares records and reports as assigned.
- Enforces facility goals.
- Monitors daily logs.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Must meet the qualifications as a Corrections Officer.
- Minimum high school graduate or equivalent; related college courses highly desirable.
- Minimum of three (3) years of experience working in a correctional setting, one of which was in a position requiring supervisory capabilities.
- Must be representative of worthwhile qualities with which an inmate can identify. Must be emotionally stable, understanding and philosophically attuned to the facility objectives. Must be flexible, cooperative, and empathetic to the total needs of the inmates.
- Working knowledge of laws relating to corrections.
- Working knowledge of all applicable court orders.
- Ability to communicate and interact with a variety of personalities.
- Ability to interpret complex written and oral communication, documents, and instructions.
- Ability to make and implement decisions without assistance.
- Ability to give instructions and have them carried out.
- Ability to coordinate staffing requirements for security supervisors and officers.
- Ability to write communication documents, policies, courtroom defenses, contract negotiations, and other required written correspondence.