Steward Health Care System
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Renal Pat Care Tech-Renal Dialysis-30 Hrs/Week-Day/Evening Rotator
at Steward Health Care System
Job Status: Full Time
Job Reference #: 21639
Categories: IT - Computer Services & Support, Healthcare - Support Services, Healthcare - ALL CATEGORIES, IT - ALL CATEGORIES
Location: St. Elizabeth's Medical Center
Posted Date: 1/17/2020
Facility: St. Elizabeths Medical Center, Brighton MA
Department: SEH Renal Dialysis (0101.54700)
- Part-time - 30 hrs with wkend rotation
- Day and Evening
Renal Pat Care Tech, 30 hours per week. 6a to 4:30p rotation 10:30 to 9p or 3p to 1:30a
Under the supervision of a Registered Nurse prepares, initiates, monitors and terminates hemodialysis treatments on dialysis patients.
- Starts up, shuts down, and troubleshoots R/O water delivery system following accepted unit procedures.
- Prepares and tests, as necessary, specifically ordered baths for hemodialysis following accepted unit procedures.
- Rinses, primes, prepares, and tests hollow fiber, or parallel plate dialyzers for patients' use in accordance with accepted unit procedures.
- Is familiar with and responsible for the proper operation of, and recognizes malfunctions of the following equipment:
- Conductivity Test Meter
- Cobe Century III
- Turning the Reverse Osmosis water system on/off.
- Converting to Dionized (DI.) back-up water system and disinfection of dialysis machines.
- Assembles all necessary supplies and equipment for dialysis at bedside.
- Weighs patient and obtains baseline vital signs and makes initial assessment of patient's condition to establish how dialysis treatment will be carried out in terms of prime, blood flows, and dialysis removal.
- Inspects and assesses access sites for signs of infection, infiltration, erosion, thrombus, blood flow, and appropriate method of cannulation.
- Obtains blood samples and other specimens as ordered.
- Initiates dialysis utilizing only a fistula or graft access route.
- Administers intraderal anesthetic as indicated.
- Administers pre-dialysis heparing as prescribed.
- Measures and adjusts blood flow rates according to established protocols.
- Determines need for fluid removal or replacement and carries out appropriate calculations to achieve targeted weight loss fluid replacement respectively.
- Monitors and records treatment parameters such as vital signs, weight changes, arterial/venous pressure changes, negative pressure changes, etc.
- Observes dialysis equipment for correct operation during dialysis, responds to alarms and makes appropriate adjustments during treatment.
- Administers normal saline intravenously as prescribed for fluid replacement and hypo-tension.
- Terminates dialysis as ordered or as necessary and returns blood to patient following established procedures.
- Is able to test for and recognize blood leaks in the extracoporal circuit and Dialyser ruptures. Can safely and aseptically carry out blood line, and Dialyzer changes during a dialysis treatment.
- Documents clearly and completely on all assigned patients.
- Is able to produce work, in a time driven environment, that is well conceived and executed.
- Is able to accept direction and respond well to supervision.
- Is able to be flexible in work assignments knowing that changes can occur from hour to hour.
- Maintains a professional appearance and attitude, works well with coworkers, and supports the Hospital's Mission and Values.
- High School Diploma
- CCHT Certified Clinical Hemodialysis Technician
- Previous dialysis experience preferred.
- Previous health care position preferred.
- Able to complete mathematical computations required for dialysis treatments.
- Speaks, reads, writes in the English language.
- Strong organizational skills.
Please click on the link below to apply for this position. A new window will open and direct you to apply at our corporate careers page. We look forward to hearing from you!