St. Joseph Medical Center
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Technical Cytology Supervisor
at St. Joseph Medical Center
Under the general supervision of the Manager, performs duties of staff Medical Technologist or Histologist such as preparing and processing specimens, performing Clinical Laboratory tests, analyzing and interpreting test results, and assisting with communication of test results to patients, physicians, and employees. Provides technical and scientific oversight of the CLIA specialty or subspecialties as assigned. This may include but is not limited to: procedure development and review, review of quality control with corrective action as necessary, equipment management to ensure proper function, and proactive research and process improvement initiatives of new technologies. Also assists Manager with local management functions.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Consistently supports and communicates the Mission, Vision and Values of St. Joseph Medical Center.
- Follows the St. Joseph Medical Center Guidelines related to the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA), designed to prevent or detect unauthorized disclosure of Protected Health Information (PHI).
- Promotes a culture of safety for patients and employees through proper identification, proper reporting, documentation and prevention of medical errors in a non-punitive environment.
- Provides technical and scientific oversight for specialty to meet or exceed accreditation standards. Evaluates and selects test methods, verifies tests performed, establishes test system performance characteristics, resolves technical problems, and ensures corrective actions are taken. Ensures patient results are not reported unless the test system is properly functioning.
- Medical Technologists - Performs the duties of a Medical Technologist such as conducting various
Clinical Laboratory tests and analyzing and interpreting test results.
Histologists - Performs the duties of a certified Histologist such as preparing frozen section specimens
and cutting and preparing slides for H&E staining or special stains.
- Performs/documents proficiency testing in the same manner as patient samples.
- Maintains records of quality control and patient test results in accordance with hospital and regulatory
- Applies knowledge of clinical significance of test preparation and resulting and communicates accurately in a timely manner to the appropriate medical personnel.
- Oversees orientation and training of personnel ensuring ongoing competency.
- Participates in, leads, and suggests PI activities by chairing/participating in PI teams.
- Ensures adequate supplies, reagents and materials are available for the operation of the lab section.
- Assists the Manager with basic management functions of the department such as personnel issues,
monitoring work time, assessing variations in volume/section productivity, ensuring manual charges are entered, and providing input on performance appraisals of staff level personnel.
- Maintains, troubleshoots, and ensures repair of departmental equipment and physical facilities.
- Participates in the Education Program, as appropriate (i.e. formulating tests/evaluations, curriculum,
15. Communicates, liaisons, instructs and dialogs appropriately with health care providers, patients, and
vendors on issues such as specimen preparation, test interpretation, recommendations for alternate
preparation/testing, instrumentation, and specimen methodology.
- Maintains and monitors comprehensive quality control, quality assurance and proficiency testing programs.
- Serves on laboratory committees and assists with special projects as needed.
- Responsible for staff scheduling; volunteering to fill shift vacancies and accommodating schedule to
meet department needs.
- Serves as an IT resource in the designated section.
- Maintains knowledge of current trends and developments in the field, completing a minimum of 20
hours of continuing education annually.
- Works cooperatively with others.
- Pursues solutions to technical or personnel problems and communicates to appropriate person.
- Supportive of the compliance program set forth by IASIS Healthcare and
- Upholds the Code of Ethics and Corporate Compliance.
- Adheres to and helps to enforce all compliance policies relevant to his/her area.
- Assures timely compliance education as requested by the Regional Compliance & Safety Officer and/or through corporate initiatives.
- Sets an example to all staff in their daily activities.
MINIMUM KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- A minimum of five years as a Medical Technologist, Histologist, or Cytologist within the specialty is preferred
- Certification as a Medical Technologist, CLS (NCA) or MT (ASCP) or Certification as a Histologist or Cytologist (ASCP)
- If certified after 2004 must maintain active credential status to maintain employment.
Education & Training:
- MT - Completion of a Bachelors Degree in Medical Technology or related science and successful completion of a CAHEA approved program in Medical Technology
- HT – Completion of a CAHEA approved program in Histo Technology
- Graduate from an approved/accredited Bachelor’s degree program in Medical Technology, Biology or a closely related discipline.
- Technical, critical thinking, and interpersonal skills relevant to area in order to effectively communicate with physicians, health team members, patients and families.
- Ability to prioritize work with minimal supervision, in order to independently carry out the duties of the position.
- Able to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing.
- Additional languages preferred.
- Intermediate computer knowledge.
- Ability to perform routine and specialized laboratory procedures
- Ability to work under stress in order to perform effectively in the position.
- Demonstrates flexibility and initiative in workflow management.