St. Joseph Medical Center
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Pool Medical Assistant I (variable shifts)- Occupational Health
at St. Joseph Medical Center
JOB TITLE: Medical Assistant (PRN)- Occupational Health
We believe our people are our strength and we take our employees’ health seriously. From medical coverage and life insurance to retirement plans, paid time off and much more, Steward Health Care provides you with a variety of benefits to address your unique needs.
Retirement & Savings
- Low Cost parking
- Up to 20% employee discount-Gift shop, onsite Café and Cafeteria
St. Joseph Medical Center is taking additional, necessary preparations to ensure patients can receive compassionate care in a safe, carefully managed environment – with confidence and without fear.
Our Safe and Ready program consists of a rigorous [five-point] standard ensuring patient safety, confidence and convenience:
- Expanded hours will allow previously cancelled procedures to be scheduled as quickly as possible.
- Any COVID-19 related care takes place in designated areas away from other patients and their families.
- Emergency Departments are reorganized to be a safe place to treat all emergency patients.
- A stringent cleaning policy has been implemented throughout the hospital.
- A strictly controlled visitor and masking policy is required for patient safety.
You can rest assured that we have made the necessary preparations to provide care in a safe, controlled and professional way.
Provides general office support with a variety of clerical and clinical activities and related tasks. The medical assistant will be responsible for answering incoming calls, directing calls to appropriate associates, requisition of supplies, front and back duties.
1. Consistently supports and communicates the Mission, Vision and Values of St. Joseph Medical Center.
2. Follows the St. Joseph Medical Center Guidelines related to the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA), designed to prevent or detect unauthorized disclosure of Protected Health Information (
3. Promotes a culture of safety for patients and employees through proper identification, proper reporting, documentation and prevention of medical errors in a non-punitive environment.
4. Must be able to handle a high volume outpatient clinic setting. Will perform the following duties throughout the entire clinic:
- Handling and answering external as well as internal phone calls and transferring calls to the appropriate departments
- Scheduling/registering and transferring patients
- Obtaining necessary consent for treatment/procedures
- Handling data entry tasks
- Collecting co-payments and take payments to appropriate department
- Verifying insurance if necessary
- Daily perform other related clerical duties such as photocopying, faxing, filing and collating
- Filing and maintenance of medical records and documents
5. Administrative duties that may have responsibilities include:
- Ensures that all critical labs are reported to the appropriate person according to policy
- Preparing patient charts and exam rooms before physician arrives and after clinic sessions
- Assists during patient exams
- Order labs as requested and certain labs to receive blood draws
- Explain hospital admission procedures
- Drawing blood and take vital signs
- Collecting urine samples and sending them for diagnosis
6. Provides callers with information such as company address, directions to the company location, company fax numbers, company website, and other related information.
7. Once a week ordering, receiving, stocking and distribution of office and medical supplies.
8. Supportive of the compliance program set forth by SJMC and demonstrated by:
- Upholds the Code of Ethics and Corporate Compliance.
- Adheres to and helps to enforce all compliance policies relevant to his/her area.
- Assures timely compliance education as requested by the Regional Compliance & Privacy Officer and/or through corporate initiatives.
9. Other duties as assigned and help with other departments if needed.
MINIMUM KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS
American Heart Association Basic Life Support certification is required.
MA Certification is required.
EDUCATION & TRAINING:
- High school diploma or GED required.
- Bilingual (Spanish/English)
- Familiar with ICD-9 coding
- MA Certificate
- Technical, critical thinking and interpersonal skills relevant to area in order to effectively communicate with physicians, health team members, patients and families.
- Ability to prioritize work with minimal supervision, in order to independently carry out the duties of the position.
- Ability to follow direction and manage change effectively.
- Able to communicate effectively, in English and Spanish, both verbally and in writing.
- Additional languages preferred.
- Computer knowledge
- Medical assistants must have good communication skills and must be caring towards patients
- They should be willing to work under pressure
- They must be understanding and answer all questions of the patients as simply as possible
- They must use discretion while maintaining patient confidentiality
- They must be in a good health and have a positive personality
For physical demands of position, including vision, hearing, repetitive motion and environment, see following description.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the position without compromising client care.
Bi or Multilingual.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER MINORITIES / WOMEN / VETERANS / DISABLED