Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Pipe Layer- Destin, FL
at Prince Contracting
Title: Pipe Layer
Reports to: Pipe Foreman
Lay pipe for storm or sanitation sewers, drains, and water mains. Perform any combination of the following tasks: grade trenches or culverts, position pipe, or seal joints.
- Align and position pipes to prepare them for welding or sealing.
- Check slopes for conformance to requirements, using levels or lasers.
- Connect pipe pieces and seal joints, using welding equipment, cement, or glue.
- Cover pipes with earth or other materials.
- Cut pipes to required lengths.
- Dig trenches to desired or required depths, by hand or using trenching tools.
- Grade and level trench bases, using tamping machines and hand tools.
- Install and repair sanitary and stormwater sewer structures and pipe systems.
- Lay out pipe routes, following written instructions or blueprints, and coordinating layouts with supervisors.
- Locate existing pipes needing repair or replacement, using magnetic or radio indicators.
- Tap and drill holes into pipes to introduce auxiliary lines or devices.
- Install and use instruments such as lasers, grade rods, and transit levels.
- Operate mechanized equipment such as pickup trucks, rollers, tandem dump trucks, front-end loaders, and backhoes.
- Train others in pipe-laying, and provide supervision.
- Must be able to understand work directions and communicate effectively with job site supervisors and fellow employees.
- Three (3) to Five (5) years or more of industry related experience is required for this position, with an emphasis on roads, highways, and bridges.
- All work is performed outdoors in all types of weather, including extreme heat. Job requires long hours of standing, kneeling, lifting, pulling, squatting and walking.
- Ability to lift and carry, on a frequent basis, at least 50-90 pounds individually, and up to 150 pounds with assistance.
- Manual dexterity to handle and carry generators, lumber and other construction materials, forms, power tools, and hand tools.
- Capable of operating concrete vibrators for extended periods of time.
- Physical dexterity to pour, grade and finish concrete, involving stretching, proper placement of legs, and use of arms and hands in repetitive motions.
- Maintain constant awareness of the jobsite’s various concurrent activities, including the activities of other employees and contractors, the operation of stationary equipment, and the movement of mobile equipment.
- The Pipe Layer must be able to climb on and off heavy mobile equipment safely.
- Frequently walk on uneven surfaces, including natural ground in varying weather conditions.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. All personnel may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.