Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Volunteer Small Claims Hearing Officer
at Pima County
- Position Description
Summary: The incumbent will hear and adjudicate small claims cases involving amounts up to $3,500.00 plus court costs.
Basic Attributes of a small claims hearing officer:
- Have excellent listening/analytical thinking and decision-making skills.
- Be able to apply personal and professional experience, knowledge, and understanding to the case at hand.
- Have the ability to learn and apply basic principles of law fairly and impartially.
- Be honest and professionally and ethically represent the Pima County Consolidated Justice Court.
- Have the ability to maintain a high level of patience and courtesy at all times.
- Be able to balance independence and accountability.
- Be reliable and punctual.
- Comply with the Arizona Supreme Court Code of Conduct.
- Professionally present yourself both in conduct and appearance.
- Use appropriate body language.
- Be comfortable with and have the ability to adapt to using a variety of different types of technology including but not limited to conducting court business in alternative court-authorized formats such as Zoom video and telephonic hearings.
- Pass a criminal history background investigation and fingerprints.
- Minimum Qualifications
The applicant must be 21 years of age, able to pass a criminal history records check, and a resident of Pima County.
Length of Commitment: A volunteer hearing officer must be able to make a one-year commitment to the Pima County Consolidated Justice Court consisting of two 4-hour shifts or one 8-hour shift per month. The Green Valley Justice Court and Ajo Justice Court may need your services if your schedule allows it.
Training:A mandatory training program is provided by the Court that will acquaint volunteer small claims hearing officers with the functions of Small Claims Court and will cover the diversity of subjects encountered by them in the performance of their duties to include being familiar with the Rules of Small Claims Procedures. There may be additional mandatory training sessions you will be required to attend by the designated court including but not limited to an annual meeting and required shadowing sessions before being allowed to hear cases.
- Supplemental Information
Please be aware this is an unpaid, volunteer position.