Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
3143 - Legal Secretary
at Pima County
- Position Description
REVISED - 10/30/2019
THIS RECRUITMENT IS TO ESTABLISH A REGISTER for current and future LEGAL SECRETARY vacancies which serves all levels/assignments of Legal Secretary in the offices of the Pima County Attorney's Office.
Salary Grade: P2
In direct support of legal functions, performs a variety of specialized legal secretarial tasks, which require distinct knowledge of legal procedures, documentation and legal time constraints and make independent decisions regarding the processing of legal documents. This classification has primary responsibility for completion of assigned tasks and functions by an attorney or paralegal.
For more information about the Pima County Attorney's Office, please visit their website at http://www.pcao.pima.gov
(Work assignments may vary depending on the department's needs and will be communicated to the applicant or incumbent by the manager/supervisor.)
Gathers information, prepares legal documents, types legal forms, correspondence, documents such as briefs, opinions, complaints, warrants, affidavits, depositions and monitors to ensure legal requirements and deadlines are met;
Reviews new cases and sets up interviews between clients, law enforcement personnel and attorneys;
Reviews materials received, sets up files and initiates paperwork;
Takes and/or transcribes from electronic dictation, prepares legal reports, correspondence, forms such as petitions, jury instructions and disclosures;
Determines prioritization of trials, sets up and maintains calendars of hearings, trials, depositions and response times to pending litigation;
Compiles statistical data concerning unit operations, at the direction of the attorney and/or paralegal, prepares periodic and special reports;
Prepares motions for continuance, suspension or dismissal through the court system;
Coordinates work activities with trial teams and/or divisions;
Acts as liaison for attorney and/or paralegal regarding case preparation, discovery and prepares appropriate legal documents as required;
Communicates with clients or witnesses to obtain or verify legal information for cases;
Word processes a variety of technical and confidential documents, contracts, ordinances, case dispositions and privileged attorney client information;
Reviews, sorts and proofreads legal documents for attorney and/or paralegal;
Files and indexes legal documents produced and received in the case files;
Edits legal documents for appropriateness of legal or technical terminology, grammar, punctuation and spelling;
Operates a variety of office equipment.
KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS:
- legal office practices and procedures;
- legal terminology, legal forms, time constraints and deadlines;
- business English, grammar and spelling;
- criminal justice system or civil legal process;
- departmental, division and unit policies and procedures;
- filing procedures with all levels of the court;
- format for legal documents, correspondence and pleadings;
- laws and rules of ethics pertaining to confidentiality and security of information;
- computer software, word processes and data bases;
- principles and practices of coordination.
- recognizing and setting priorities in the processing of legal documents;
- working within time constraints and meeting deadlines;
- typing legal forms, documents and correspondence;
- filing documents and researching information;
- operating a variety of computer applications and office equipment;
- establishing and maintaining effective work relationships;
- making mathematical calculations;
- transcribing from electronic dictation;
- preparing legal documents;
- communicating effectively both orally and in writing.
- knowledge of management principles and practices;
- prioritizing, assigning and reviewing work of other legal secretaries or litigation support staff;
- training other legal secretarial or litigation support staff;
- attending meetings and acting as unit or departmental representative to committees or groups.
- Minimum Qualifications
(1) An Associate's degree or a certificate of completion from an accredited college or technical school as a legal secretary.
(2) Successful completion of course work in legal terminology or legal office procedures from an accredited school and one year of legal clerical experience involving the preparation and processing of legal documents or providing legal clerical support to an attorney.
(Additional relevant education from an accredited college or technical school and/or experience may be substituted.)
Qualifying education and experience must be clearly documented in the "Education" and "Work Experience" sections of the application. Do not substitute a resume for your application or write "see resume" on your application.
- Qualifying candidates will be required to complete and pass online assessments.
Pima County Human Resources Department reserves the right to admit to the selection process only those candidates that meet the minimum/desired qualifications. All applications will be assessed based on an evaluation of the listed education and experience. Candidates meeting the minimum/desired qualifications may be further evaluated/scored against any advertised Preferred Qualifications. The hiring authority will interview and select the successful candidate from a referral list provided by Human Resources. Additional assessments/testing may be required as part of the selection process.
- Supplemental Information
Licenses and Certificates: Some positions require a valid Arizona Class D driver license at the time of application. Failure to obtain/maintain the required licensure shall be grounds for termination.
Special Notice Items: The County requires pre-employment background checks. Successful candidates will receive a post-offer, pre-employment background screening to include verification of work history, education and criminal conviction history. A prior criminal conviction will not automatically disqualify a candidate from employment with the County.
Physical/Sensory Requirements: Physical and sensory abilities will be determined by position.