Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
1457 - ITD - Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Analyst - Senior
at Pima County
- Position Description
This position is in the Information Technology Department.
Salary Grade: 63
We are seeking a highly motivated, thorough and disciplined individual with strong GIS knowledge and skills to fill a role of Sr. GIS Analyst for the Information Technology Department. This position will assist with the implementation of a Transportation Network Management System (TNMS) for the Department of Transportation that will increase efficiencies in managing transportation assets and help determine the best ways to provide timely and cost effective services to the residents of Pima County. The person in this role will work directly with Transportation staff to determine their data and reporting needs and then lead a team of GIS Professionals in the development of data and solutions using the latest Esri GIS tools. Experience in the development and implementation of Esri solutions including ArcGIS Online, ArcGIS Enterprise, Web App Builder, Operations Dashboards and a thorough understanding of data transformations and analysis using Esri desktop and web based tools is required. Knowledge of Enterprise Geodatabases, MS SQL Server, Python is recommended as well as an understanding of 3rd party data sources and applications, such as Ritis-PDA, StreetLight Data, usRAP, WAZE, etc is desirable.
(Work assignments may vary depending on the department's needs and will be communicated to the applicant or incumbent by the supervisor.)
Designs, develops, tests, deploys and maintains automated geo-processes;
Administers, configures and trouble-shoots backend Enterprise GIS hardware and software to ensure functionality and performance meets business needs;
Identifies and compiles database information to support the creation of maps and applications in response to requests;
Directs development and implementation of quality control procedures for GIS processes, procedures, services and products;
Evaluates and makes recommendations to management for acquisition of GIS software, hardware and peripheral equipment;
Performs complex geospatial data building, modeling and analysis using advanced spatial data manipulation or cartographic procedures;
Designs and coordinates the integration of GIS spatial databases with non-spatial enterprise business databases;
Provides technical support to users or customers regarding the maintenance, development, or operation of GIS databases, applications and data collection devices;
Designs or prepares cartographic representations of GIS data using GIS applications, including web based mapping systems;
Interprets aerial or ortho imagery for mapping purposes;
Enters data into GIS databases using techniques such as coordinate geometry, keyboard entry of tabular data, manual digitizing of maps, scanning or automatic conversion to features, or by converting other digital data;
Reviews existing or incoming data for currency, accuracy, usefulness, quality, or completeness of documentation;
Revises existing maps and reports making all necessary corrections and adjustments;
Compiles GIS data required for map preparation including imagery, survey notes, records, reports, and original maps;
Documents GIS procedures, metadata, and operating standards;
Leads and trains GIS technicians, GIS Analysts or related staff in the operation of GIS analytical procedures;
Supervises and evaluates assigned GIS staff, to include making recommendations on hiring, termination and other related personnel activities.
KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS:
- GIS principles, techniques, applications and industry standards as applied to spatial data, imagery, metadata, programming and analysis;
- GIS data processing, quality-control, delivery and display;
- GIS technology directions and trends in software, hardware, web services;
- current programming languages for GIS process automation and application development;
- relational GIS database design and application implementation in an Enterprise distributed processing environment;
- remote sensing data interpretation, e.g. aerial imagery, LiDAR, etc;
- principles and practices of project planning, management, and resource allocation;
- supervising, training, and communication techniques;
- best practices for securing GIS data in a distributed environment.
- enterprise GIS database development, management and maintenance;
- using programming languages for GIS process automation and application development;
- enterprise application design, implementation, security and maintenance;
- enterprise GIS server administration, configuration, security measures and trouble-shooting;
- identifying customer needs and developing solutions to meet their needs;
- managing large-scale GIS projects including needs assessment, data creation/migration, process re-engineering, quality control, maintenance, and dissemination;
- geospatial data analysis and advanced cartographic design using a variety of GIS applications including desktop and web-based tools;
- supervising professional and technical staff;
- customer support and problem resolution in the use of GIS data and applications;
- working as a member or lead of a team by delivering to deadlines;
- time management while handling multiple projects.
- Minimum Qualifications
- EITHER:(1) A Bachelor's degree from an accredited college, university or technical school in Geographic Information Systems, remote sensing, cartography, geography or related field as determined by the appointing authority at the time of recruitment, and two years of technical experience in geographic information creation and analysis.
(Additional relevant work experience and/or education from an accredited college, university or technical school may be substituted.)OR:(2) Two years of experience with Pima County as a Geographic Information Systems Analyst or ITD Geographic Information Systems Analyst.
Qualifying education and experience must be clearly documented in the "Education" and "Work Experience" sections of the application. Do not substitute a resume for your application or write "see resume" on your application.
(Be specific in describing your experience in your application. Ensure the descriptions provided illustrate your competencies, specifically addressing the required and preferred qualifications.):
- Five (5) years of experience using Esri software to perform the following tasks: Creating and maintaining spatial data, using and managing enterprise geodatabases, performing various types of spatial analysis, developing and deploying web based applications, and integrating enterprise business systems with Esri platforms.
- Three (3) years experience in a GIS role focusing on transportation related data, analysis, reporting and application development.
- Experience with transportation datasets and sources, e.g., Ritis-PDA, StreetLight Data, usRAP, WAZE, etc.
- Experience working with end users to understand their needs and collect the necessary requirements that can be used develop and deploy sustainable GIS applications.
- Knowledge/experience managing or using Esri Roads and Highways.
- Managing/supervising GIS staff and leading GIS professionals to complete simple to complex GIS projects.
- Demonstrated experience in the following:
- Integrating non-spatial data with spatial data.
- ArcGIS Online and/or ArcGIS Enterprise, including Hub, Sites, Insights, Maps,Web Apps, Story Maps, Survey 123, and Collector.
- GIS process automation using Python or other scripting languages.
- Developing and deploying applications using Esri Web AppBuilder.
- ArcMap and/or ArcGIS Pro.
- Operations Dashboard.
- Deploying sustainable GIS applications in a production environment.
Pima County Human Resources Department reserves the right to admit to the selection process only those candidates that meet the minimum/desired qualifications. All applications will be assessed based on an evaluation of the listed education and experience. Candidates meeting the minimum/desired qualifications may be further evaluated/scored against any advertised Preferred Qualifications. The hiring authority will interview and select the successful candidate from a referral list provided by Human Resources. Additional assessments/testing may be required as part of the selection process.
- Supplemental Information
Licenses and Certificates: Some positions may require appropriate licenses or certifications at time of appointment or within a specified timeframe, e.g., Certified Business Analyst Professional (CBAP). Valid driver license is required at time of application. Valid AZ driver license is required at time of appointment. The successful applicant will be subject to a 39-month DOT Motor Vehicle Record review to determine applicant's suitability to operate county vehicles in accordance with Pima County administrative procedures. Any offer of employment resulting from this recruitment is contingent upon Fleet Services' review and approval of the candidate's driving record. Failure to obtain/maintain required licensure/certifications shall be grounds for termination.
Special Notice Items: The County requires pre-employment background checks. Successful candidates will receive a post-offer, pre-employment background screening to include verification of work history, education and criminal conviction history. A prior criminal conviction will not automatically disqualify a candidate from employment with the County. Some positions carry the risk of exposure to infectious diseases, blood-born pathogens, asbestos or wastewater products, therefore special medical screening prior to or during employment may be necessary to assure employee health and safety.
Physical/Sensory Requirements: Physical and sensory abilities will be determined by position.