Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
1457 - ITD - Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Analyst - Senior
at Pima County
- Position Description
This position is in the Information Technology Department.
Salary Grade: 62
We are seeking a highly motivated, thorough and disciplined individual with strong GIS knowledge and skills to fill a role of Sr. GIS Analyst for the Information Technology Department. This position will be involved in a wide variety of GIS projects and data/application development work, using Esri data models and tools such as Enterprise Geodatabases, the ArcGIS Enterprise suite, internal and external web-based tools and applications, and mobile applications and data workflow management tools. This person's projects can include the following areas of focus: Enterprise geospatial data management, such as traditional vector GIS layers, raster data, imagery, basemaps, web mapping systems, and reporting tools such as dashboards; The development and management of the GIS infrastructure and data, including server application installation, configuration, and management, along with data loading, configuration, and management; Process automation using scripting tools and scheduled data processing jobs, including the migration of legacy code to modern languages such as Python and/or FME; Integrating GIS data with enterprise business systems, such as Accela, Maximo, Infor, and AMS Advantage; Project management; and project staff management.
(Work assignments may vary depending on the department's needs and will be communicated to the applicant or incumbent by the supervisor.)
Designs, develops, tests, deploys and maintains automated geo-processes;
Administers, configures and trouble-shoots backend Enterprise GIS hardware and software to ensure functionality and performance meets business needs;
Identifies and compiles database information to support the creation of maps and applications in response to requests;
Directs development and implementation of quality control procedures for GIS processes, procedures, services and products;
Evaluates and makes recommendations to management for acquisition of GIS software, hardware and peripheral equipment;
Performs complex geospatial data building, modeling and analysis using advanced spatial data manipulation or cartographic procedures;
Designs and coordinates the integration of GIS spatial databases with non-spatial enterprise business databases;
Provides technical support to users or customers regarding the maintenance, development, or operation of GIS databases, applications and data collection devices;
Designs or prepares cartographic representations of GIS data using GIS applications, including web based mapping systems;
Interprets aerial or ortho imagery for mapping purposes;
Enters data into GIS databases using techniques such as coordinate geometry, keyboard entry of tabular data, manual digitizing of maps, scanning or automatic conversion to features, or by converting other digital data;
Reviews existing or incoming data for currency, accuracy, usefulness, quality, or completeness of documentation;
Revises existing maps and reports making all necessary corrections and adjustments;
Compiles GIS data required for map preparation including imagery, survey notes, records, reports, and original maps;
Documents GIS procedures, metadata, and operating standards;
Leads and trains GIS technicians, GIS Analysts or related staff in the operation of GIS analytical procedures;
Supervises and evaluates assigned GIS staff, to include making recommendations on hiring, termination and other related personnel activities.
KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS:
- GIS principles, techniques, applications and industry standards as applied to spatial data, imagery, metadata, programming and analysis;
- GIS data processing, quality-control, delivery and display;
- GIS technology directions and trends in software, hardware, web services;
- current programming languages for GIS process automation and application development;
- relational GIS database design and application implementation in an Enterprise distributed processing environment;
- remote sensing data interpretation, e.g. aerial imagery, LiDAR, etc;
- principles and practices of project planning, management, and resource allocation;
- supervising, training, and communication techniques;
- best practices for securing GIS data in a distributed environment.
- enterprise GIS database development, management and maintenance;
- using programming languages for GIS process automation and application development;
- enterprise application design, implementation, security and maintenance;
- enterprise GIS server administration, configuration, security measures and trouble-shooting;
- identifying customer needs and developing solutions to meet their needs;
- managing large-scale GIS projects including needs assessment, data creation/migration, process re-engineering, quality control, maintenance, and dissemination;
- geospatial data analysis and advanced cartographic design using a variety of GIS applications including desktop and web-based tools;
- supervising professional and technical staff;
- customer support and problem resolution in the use of GIS data and applications;
- working as a member or lead of a team by delivering to deadlines;
- time management while handling multiple projects.
- Minimum Qualifications
- EITHER:(1) A Bachelor's degree from an accredited college, university or technical school in Geographic Information Systems, remote sensing, cartography, geography or related field as determined by the appointing authority at the time of recruitment, and two years of technical experience in geographic information creation and analysis.
(Additional relevant work experience and/or education from an accredited college, university or technical school may be substituted.)OR:(2) Two years of experience with Pima County as a Geographic Information Systems Analyst or ITD Geographic Information Systems Analyst.
Qualifying education and experience must be clearly documented in the "Education" and "Work Experience" sections of the application. Do not substitute a resume for your application or write "see resume" on your application.
(Be specific in describing your experience in your application. Ensure the descriptions provided illustrate your competencies, specifically addressing the required and preferred qualifications.):
- Experience designing and implementing ArcGIS Geodatabases at an enterprise/multi-user level within ArcGIS Enterprise, including creation and configuration, schema design, data loading, Extract/Transform/Load (ETL) processing, web service publishing, and the migration of legacy GIS data to a Geodatabase.
- Experience developing, implementing, and managing focused GIS applications that provide capabilities such as web mapping/editing, interactive dashboard views/reports, and mobile data collection/management/reporting. Experience with the following Esri products a plus:
* ArcGIS Online
* Portal for ArcGIS
* Web App Builder
* ArcGIS Dashboards
* Survey 123
* Navigator for ArcGIS
- Experience administering ArcGIS Enterprise extensions and integrated applications, including installation, configuration, and management for the following products:
* ArcGIS Server
* Portal for ArcGIS
* ArcGIS Enterprise Sites
* ArcGIS Online
* Open Data Portal
* ArcGIS Hub
* Insights for ArcGIS
* ArcGIS Business/Community Analyst
* Others as applicable
- Experience integrating GIS data with enterprise business systems, such as Accela, Maximo, Infor, and AMS Advantage.
- Experience in project management and project staff management. Knowledge of Microsoft TFS a plus.
Pima County Human Resources Department reserves the right to admit to the selection process only those candidates that meet the minimum/desired qualifications. All applications will be assessed based on an evaluation of the listed education and experience. Candidates meeting the minimum/desired qualifications may be further evaluated/scored against any advertised Preferred Qualifications. The hiring authority will interview and select the successful candidate from a referral list provided by Human Resources. Additional assessments/testing may be required as part of the selection process.
- Supplemental Information
Licenses and Certificates: Some positions may require appropriate licenses or certifications at time of appointment or within a specified timeframe, e.g., Certified Business Analyst Professional (CBAP). Valid driver license is required at time of application. Valid AZ driver license is required at time of appointment. The successful applicant will be subject to a 39-month DOT Motor Vehicle Record review to determine applicant's suitability to operate county vehicles in accordance with Pima County administrative procedures. Any offer of employment resulting from this recruitment is contingent upon Fleet Services' review and approval of the candidate's driving record. Failure to obtain/maintain required licensure/certifications shall be grounds for termination.
Special Notice Items: The County requires pre-employment background checks. Successful candidates will receive a post-offer, pre-employment background screening to include verification of work history, education and criminal conviction history. A prior criminal conviction will not automatically disqualify a candidate from employment with the County. Some positions carry the risk of exposure to infectious diseases, blood-born pathogens, asbestos or wastewater products, therefore special medical screening prior to or during employment may be necessary to assure employee health and safety.
Physical/Sensory Requirements: Physical and sensory abilities will be determined by position.