Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
1396 - Business Intelligence Analyst
at Pima County
- Position Description
This position is in the Analytics & Data Governance Department. OPEN UNTIL FILLED.
Salary Grade: 58
Works closely with business units to analyze, document and design solutions for data analysis, interpretation and reporting. Responsible for providing data that is accurate, congruent and reliable, ensures the information is easily available to user departments for analysis or integration with other systems. The Business Intelligence Analyst is the entry level classification of the series and is distinguished from the Business Intelligence Analyst-Senior by its focus on process oriented tasks.
(Work assignments may vary depending on the department's needs and will be communicated to the applicant or incumbent by the supervisor.)
Acts as the subject matter expert on reporting tools and data analysis, makes recommendations on process changes;
Provides data analysis and reporting solutions support for assigned departments;
Works on data analysis tasks within one or more functional areas independently or as part of a team;
Works with internal and external customers and Analytics and Data Governance partners to gather and validate requirements;
Develops and writes business requirements for identified data analysis and reporting solutions;
Creates and maintains a variety of reports, data queries, scripts, workflow and automated tasks using structured query language and various database management tools;
May identify and analyze commonly used queries and reports to determine if currently available solutions are applicable;
Researches department reporting problems and assists in the creation of models to help analyze department reporting needs;
Develops, executes, and documents user test plans;
Coordinates and performs quality control testing of new or updated software and processes, helps resolve issues based on test results;
Verifies the collected data is within required quality standards;
May maintain the quality of metadata repository/data dictionary by adding, modifying, and deleting data;
Creates data quality tickets and ensures they are resolved in a timely manner;
Assists in the development and presentation of end-user training materials;
May train and assist clients in the use of the business intelligence solutions.
KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS:
- software development and applications programming;
- principles and techniques of systems analysis and design;
- development and maintenance of data communications, security and privacy measures;
- principles of database design, data warehousing, data modeling and data mining;
- reporting tools such as Crystal Reports, Web Intelligence or SSRS;
- effective teamwork behaviors.
- working within the Agile sprint methodology;
- using Microsoft Excel (lookups, formulas, pivots, macros);
- writing SQL statements to analyze data: joining, filtering, aggregating;
- writing procedures and work instructions;
- communicating with internal and external customers through written, verbal, interpersonal and management presentation;
- operating as an effective member of a team;
- employing quality skill sets and diagnostic tools;
- problem solving and resolution techniques;
- employing diagnostic, analytical and conceptual skills with detailed orientation;
- gathering requirements, analyzing business problems, automating business processes and implementing application solutions;
- visual design using SAP Lumira, Tableau or Power BI.
- Minimum Qualifications
A Bachelor's degree from an accredited college, university or technical trade school with a major in computer science, computer engineering, management information systems (MIS), or a closely related field as determined by the appointing authority at the time of recruitment.
(Relevant experience and/or education from an accredited college, university or technical trade school may be substituted.)
Qualifying education and experience must be clearly documented in the "Education" and "Work Experience" sections of the application. Do not substitute a resume for your application or write "see resume" on your application.
Preferred Qualifications (Be specific in describing your experience in your application. Ensure the descriptions provided illustrate your competencies, specifically addressing the required and preferred qualifications.):
- Experience writing SQL statements to query data.
- Experience with Power BI, Tableau and/or other analytic tools (writing reports, visualizations or dashboards).
Pima County Human Resources Department reserves the right to admit to the selection process only those candidates that meet the minimum/desired qualifications. All applications will be assessed based on an evaluation of the listed education and experience. Candidates meeting the minimum/desired qualifications may be further evaluated/scored against any advertised Preferred Qualifications. The hiring authority will interview and select the successful candidate from a referral list provided by Human Resources. Additional assessments/testing may be required as part of the selection process.
- Supplemental Information
Licenses and Certificates: Some positions require a valid Arizona Class D driver license at the time of application. Failure to obtain/maintain required licensure shall be grounds for termination.
Special Notice Items: The County requires pre-employment background checks. Successful candidates will receive a post-offer, pre-employment background screening to include verification of work history, education and criminal conviction history. A prior criminal conviction will not automatically disqualify a candidate from employment with the County.
Physical/Sensory Requirements: Physical and sensory abilities will be determined by position.