Tucson Medical Center
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Clinical Informatics Educator
at Tucson Medical Center
In coordination with the IS Education Team Lead, the Clinical Informatics Educator is responsible to develop and deliver education to clinical staff. Educators provide assistance to clinical departments in identifying, developing, implementing, and maintaining effective training experiences. Educators will utilize the EMR system to adequately relay information to providers and staff in an understandable and accurate training format which utilizes up-to-date workflows and current curriculum to improve EMR utilization and patient experience. Educators will assist and support system upgrades and implementations by educating other trainers, clinical educators, and analysts.
Train in multi-style settings (classroom, one-on-one, on-site)
Create educational documentation
Maintain educational documentation based on current implementation content
Ability to change training style to meet the needs of the trainee(s)
Maintain training schedules
Evaluate trainee’s workflow and abilities
Conduct site assessments for efficient EMR workflow
Work independently on special EMR related projects (training projects, new functionality, workflow modifications, etc.)
Maintain records of training activities and employee progress utilizing a learning management system; monitors effectiveness of programs and compiles required reports and records
Conduct the build, testing and maintenance of the system training environment on a routine schedule
Collaborate with other clinical educators, analysts, super users, and regional partners to improve application functionality and training
Analyze and coordinate the availability of clinical IS Applications Trainers, schedules, rooms, workstations and other resources ensuring all timelines are met
Answer application functionality questions from managers and clinical staff, researching answers and possibilities with appropriate teams within Information Services (IS) and with vendor advisors as necessary
Maintain relationships with end users through rounding, department meetings, and special training sessions to assess proficiency and identify ongoing training needs
Understands clinical workflows and how they fit into the end users’ daily tasks, including the ability to troubleshoot workflow issues and suggest temporary workflow changes, as needed, in accordance with departmental and/or organizational policy
Provide input to the Manager and acts as a liaison with clinical departments to identify, develop, implement, and maintain effective training experiences
Assist and support system implementations by educating other clinical educators and super users, facilitating problem solving as necessary
Evaluate effectiveness of learning strategies and outcomes of educational activities
Participate in organizational councils and initiatives as membership requires or as requested by the Manager
Maintain clinical knowledge through a variety of methods, including observation of clinical workflows and clinical documentation on hospital units
Participate as needed in professional organizations and actively networks to share information and ideas
Coordinate classroom/meeting room facilities and the availability of instructional aides
Formulate and develop plans, procedures and programs to meet specific training needs and problems
Adhere to TMC organizational and department-specific safety, confidentiality, values, policies and standards
Participate in on-call rotation and rounding activities with Clinical Informatics
Perform other related duties as assigned
EDUCATION: Bachelor’s degree is required in informatics, healthcare, curriculum design, education or a related field. Master’s degree or equivalent experience in healthcare or adult education highly preferred.
EXPERIENCE: Four (4) years of clinical experience in an acute care or ambulatory setting and two (2) years of training clinical staff in a health care environment or equivalent experience in adult education. Instructional design experience a plus.
LICENSURE OR CERTIFICATION: Recommend clinicians, including RN’s, maintain current state licensure. May be required to certify on one or more EPIC applications and maintain certification.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Skill working as a team player with ability to effectively handle conflict and adapt to change
- Skill in providing effective communications, oral and written, with the ability to follow-up and follow through effectively
- Skill in applying basic project management processes (ability to lead meetings, prioritize, resolve conflicts, maintain issues lists, and manage project plans)
- Skill in being detail oriented with ability to problem solve, both proactively and real-time.
- Skill at a proficient level in Microsoft tools (Word, Excel, Visio, and PowerPoint)
- Ability to present in a formal classroom environment
- Ability to read, analyze and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations
- Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to inquiries or complaints from employees, patients and/or their representatives, and the general public
- Ability to identify positive or negative variances from expected outcomes
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions