Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Director of Safety and Security
at Gulliver Schools
ABOUT GULLIVER PREPARATORY SCHOOLS:
Gulliver Preparatory School is a co-educational, non-profit organization that was established in 1926 in Miami, Florida and offers an integrated and comprehensive college preparatory program for grades PreK3 -12. One of the largest independent schools in Florida, Gulliver Prep enrolls more than 2,200 students on four campuses. Our Mission is to create an academic community devoted to educational excellence, with a personal touch, that fulfills each student’s potential.
Gulliver Preparatory School is currently seeking a Director of Safety and Security who will lead the school in the management, implementation of all security, safety and Emergency Management procedures. The Director of Safety and Security will continuously improve safety and security at the institution by developing, implementing, training and drilling best practices for campus safety, security and emergency management.
The role is the strategic leader for assessing security risks, ensuring compliance, operational excellence, optimal implementation of technology solution relating to the protection of people, intellectual assets, sensitive digital information and tangible property. The qualified applicant will be a strategic partner for Senior Management and all school staff by driving insightful innovative thinking and problem solving on critical risk and campus safety. This position reports up to the Chief Operating Officer. The primary responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Designs, writes and implements emergency policies and procedures using best practices for safety for schools and similar institutions; Plans and coordinates systematic education and training programs to increase emergency awareness and preparedness among staff/students and teaches emergency response skills to core staff.
- Develops outstanding relationships with all levels of management and staff; Builds respect and buy-in to implement safety and security policies and procedures
- Provides expert thought management on security related issues and works with cross functional times to implement solutions; Keeps abreast of technical, legislative, and professional trends and the developments affecting programs designed to promote safe schools. Establishes and maintains an active network of professional contacts.
- Seamlessly coordinates with law enforcement, intelligence agencies, emergency management and other relevant governmental functions as well as private sector counterparts to ensure safety and emergency management policies, procedures and coordination is aligned.
- Hires and manages internal security staff as well as off duty police officers; Excellent leadership skills with a focus on coaching and mentoring to achieve outstanding performance. Develops procedures train officers to ensure efficiency and performance that align with the overall mission and strategy of the organization.
- Directs strategy to assess and mitigate risk, mange crises and incidents, maintain continuity of security operations and safeguard the organization.
- Researches and deploys state-of-the-art technology solutions and innovative security management techniques to safeguard the organization's personnel and assets, including intellectual property. Establish appropriate standards and associated risk controls.
- Leads cross-functional teams for all safety related projects and initiatives including Faculty/Staff, Technology, Facility, Finance, Mental Health and Senior Management. Outstanding oversight skills required to ensure results.
- Bachelor’s degree in criminal justice, psychology, or other related field of study.
- Five (5) or more years of experience leading an institution’s security and safety.
- Experience with a school, hospital or other complex institution is preferred.
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to work well with people of all levels and backgrounds are essential. Strong management skills are a must.
- Outstanding analytical ability to evaluate and track KPl's related to Safety and Security. Knowledge of, experience with physical security systems both hardware and software.
- Knowledge of behavior management techniques, identifying risks and creating a culture committed to safety and security is a must.
- Ability to see the big picture and develop a long term plan that incorporates personal, culture, technology and facility design to enhance the overall safety of the school.
- Result-driven, agile, change agent with the commitment and confidence to assume a leadership role in an evolving complex environment.
- Unquestionable personal integrity, fairness and credibility necessary to gain the trust and commitment of individuals at all levels of the organization.
Criminal Background Check, Level II Fingerprint Screening(s) and Drug screen
Gulliver Schools Inc. is an EOE M/F/V/D Drug Free Workplace