Heartland Financial USA
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Senior Commercial Credit Analyst/Underwriter
at Heartland Financial USA
Heartland Financial USA, Inc. is a growing dynamic organization with many locations offering uniquely different banking and financial solutions for businesses and personal clients. As a performance driven company, we strive to create a culture of excellence with high standards, and high values while providing outstanding growth and involvement opportunities for employees. Join a team that makes "Great Things Happen!"
The Senior Portfolio Manager is responsible for underwriting Commercial and Ag credit exposures, consisting of gathering, analyzing and interpreting credit and financial information for existing and prospective customers in order to assess credit quality and minimize risk and potential loss. The position analyzes all types of credit requests, including complex relationships with larger dollar exposure and higher risk. In addition, the Senior Portfolio Manager assists the Commercial Banker in managing their client relationships.
PRIMARY & ESSENTIAL RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Works independently to appropriately and timely underwrite the credit, and to develop the appropriate credit structure in relationship to the credit risk.
a. Analyzes historical and projected financial statements for business, personal borrowers and guarantors. Identifies and analyzes risks and repayment ability.
b. Evaluates the adequacy of loan structures and collateral positions.
c. Identifies risks related to borrower operations, considering the history of business, ownership, type of business entity, and industry/sector of the borrower.
d. Summarizes findings in a credit presentation (write-up) which will be utilized by the respective authorities as a basis for their approval decisions. Write-ups will summarize credit risks in a "Credit Comment"; identify loan policy exceptions; propose improvements to loan structure; assess the loan rating, and determine the probability and impact of default.
e. Reviews commercial loan file documentation for accuracy and compliance with approval requirements.
f. Completes required participation allocations based upon an understanding of requirements of combining loans for legal lending limit considerations and assesses appropriate level of approval required for each request.
g. Leads underwriting discussions with Credit Officers and Commercial Bankers.
h. Provides underwriting, completed applications and servicing requests for Government Guaranteed programs with minimal input from Credit Officer.
i. Keeps the Commercial Banker informed of the status of the credit and obtains concurrence from the Commercial Banker on significant changes to proposed terms and conditions of the credit.
j. Holds weekly meeting with required individuals to ensure the renewal is properly underwritten, and that the loan is renewed on or before the maturity date.
2. Assists the Commercial Banker in the monitoring of the portfolio, specifically:
a. Obtains and reviews financial statements on a timely basis.
b. Understands, detects, and reports the early warning signs of problem credits. Minimizes the risk of credit loss to maintain appropriate risk ratings on all loans.
c. Obtains and reviews Compliance Certificates, Borrowing Base Certificates, and associated receivable, payable, and inventory reports on a timely basis.
d. Monitors all covenants and follow ups immediately on any covenants out of compliance.
3. Assists the Commercial Banker in preparing for client and prospect meetings.
a. Obtains updated information on existing relationship by obtaining industry or call information from sites such as First Research and eMentor.
b. Participates, with the Commercial Banker, in meetings with the client or prospect at the customer’s place of business, the bank offices, or by phone. Serves as the expert on PROFITMAX.
4. Prepares business case memos and participates in business case discussions, subsequent meetings with bank management, industry specialists, and other interested parties. Exchanges information, ideas, and seeks to understand the opinions of others.
5. Assists the Commercial Banker in ensuring that all client documentation and customer agreements, credit and non-credit alike, are accurate, properly executed, and funds are withheld until all documents are properly executed.
6. Assists the Commercial Banker by being identified as the in-bank relationship manager, taking care of requests from the customer that cannot be handled by the Loan Assistant.
7. May assist the Commercial Banker by conducting loan closings.
8. Assists the Commercial Banker by scheduling, attending, and participating in the Lender Annual Review.
9. Prepares real estate property evaluations consistent with bank policy and regulations.
10. Conducts business in compliance with bank policies, procedures, federal and state laws and regulations.
11. Actively participates in community activities that promote the bank and/or assist in business development, where applicable.
12. May participate in the on-site conversion of acquired banks, including assisting in the conversion of portfolio data, initiating renewal requests, and training bank staff.
13. Continuously seeks additional knowledge and training to enhance sales, credit, and people skills.
REQUIRED SKILLS & EXPERIENCE:
1. Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration, including specific courses in Accounting, Finance and Economics
2. 5-7 years of related experience as a Credit Analyst, Portfolio Manager or Commercial Loan Officer.
3. Strong analytical skills and an understanding of general economic theory as it relates to the lending and business environment.
4. Understanding of credit analysis, risk analysis, and accounting and finance principles.
5. Thorough knowledge of commercial and agricultural lending, credit and appropriate banking laws and regulations.
6. Strong credit underwriting skills. Experience in credit structuring and prudently accommodating customer credit needs.
7. Track record of demonstrating accuracy and thoroughness. Looks for ways to improve and promote quality. Applies feedback to improve performance and monitors own work to ensure quality.
8. Ability to maintain confidentiality of customer and credit information.
9. Strong critical thinking, interpersonal, and organizational skills
10. Demonstrated proficiency in organizing and prioritizing work to meet deadlines, with the ability to adapt within a changing environment
11. Proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook
12. Past experience with PROFITMAX, InfoAccess, CME, AS400/Fiserv or other relevant computer programs
13. Understanding of bank policies and procedures, preferred
1. Must complete RMA training curriculum and achieve the CRC Certification within 36 months of employment in the role.
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Time Type:Full time
Founded in 1981, Heartland Financial USA, Inc. is a multi-billion multibank holding company offering uniquely different banking solutions for business and personal clients. Heartland's independent community banks are chartered in the Midwestern, Southwestern and Western United States.
The Heartland vision is to differentiate itself by highlighting its uniqueness as a commercial banking organization supported by a strong retail delivery system. As one of the top 100 bank holding companies nationwide, Heartland delivers high-quality financial products and service to clients in the Midwestern, Southwestern and Western United States.
Heartland's common stock is traded through the NASDAQ® Global Select Market System under the symbol "HTLF."
EOE/AA Employer · M/F/Disabled/Vet
Member FDIC · Equal Housing Lender
Employment at Heartland Financial USA, Inc. is employment at will