Grand Canyon Education
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Build and Release Developer - DevOps
at Grand Canyon Education
Grand Canyon Education, formerly part of Grand Canyon University, became its own entity in July 2018 after the HLC approved GCU’s application to become a nonprofit institution. GCE will work in close partnership with GCU. Moreover, many positions with GCE are located on GCU’s main campus.
Grand Canyon Education continues to grow and we’re adding a new Build and Release Developer - DevOps to our Marketing Team! Reporting to Sr. Web Development manager and working collaboratively with various members within the marketing and IT departments to execute and oversee the development of tooling, automation, and infrastructure throughout GCE and its partners' web properties. The DevOps Engineer is embedded in the Marketing Development team to assist in the creation and maintenance of systems and automation that enables the team to improve security, raise quality, and reduce overall time to market. Resulting in improved user experiences, increased rankings and overall implementation of web marketing plans which support GCE and its partners' total marketing strategies. Web marketing refers to marketing efforts that use GCE and partner website properties, which are leveraged to promote educational services and objectives.
- Responsible for standardizing, developing and maintaining systems and infrastructure critical to the development process such as CI/CD pipelines, monitoring of telemetry, cluster management, and configuration management as it relates to marketing applications.
- Responsible for building and maintaining pipelines that ensure the timely and successful transition of web development projects from development into production.
- Serves as an escalation point for investigation and troubleshooting of issues in marketing systems.
- Works with Linux Administrators and IT DevOps Engineers in creation and maintenance of infrastructure and configuration for both self-hosted and cloud-based systems that support marketing applications.
- Works with Security Analysts to automate security testing, monitoring and other controls as it pertains to marketing applications.
- Works with the development team to build and maintain development tooling, such as local vagrant or docker environments for 20+ distinct applications.
- Works with QA team on the development and maintenance of systems that support test automation.
- Works with the Business Analyst in the gathering of requirements and development of documentation surrounding web development projects.
- Works alongside designers, front-end developers and back-end developers in project planning and execution throughout the entire software development lifecycle.
- Embraces change and strongly supports the idea and concept of continuous, life-time learning where it relates to DevOps, automation, web functionality and performance.
- Participates in an environment that emphasizes trust, open communication, creative thinking, and cohesive team effort.
- Bachelor’s degree in a related discipline (computer science, information technology, etc.) from a regionally accredited institution.
- Minimum of 3 years of work experience in DevOps, developer, or IT operations roles. Including at least 1 year of experience developing, maintaining, deploying or supporting web applications built on the LAMP or LEMP stacks and 1 year of experience working on a team using agile methodologies.
- The following experience may be substituted for education requirements:
- 4 years of work experience with an unrelated bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited institution.
- 5 years of work experience with an associate’s degree from an accredited institution.
- 3 years of work experience with a current and related industry certification such as Red Hat Certified System Administrator, Red Hat Certified Engineer, AWS SysOps or AWS DevOps
- Strong knowledge of the Linux operating systems, Linux command line and bash scripting.
- Proficiency managing system configuration and automation using appropriate tools such as Ansible, Puppet, Chef or others.
- Proficiency using GIT source control to manage and maintain code.
- Ability to write clean and testable code in an appropriate language for Linux automation such as Python, Groovy or Go.
- Ability to understand basic systems architecture patterns and help translate that to infrastructure.
- Ability to learn and adapt to ever changing and evolving applications and platforms.
- Ability to troubleshoot critical and complex systems.
- Excellent teamwork and communication skills.
- Good problem solving and decision-making skills.
- Provide a positive example to students by supporting the University’s Doctrinal Statement, Ethical Position
The ideal candidate will possess one more of the following skills and abilities:
- Solid understanding of the implementation of continuous integration, continuous deployment, and the underlying testing methods to ensure successful deployment.
- Solid understanding of docker and container-based infrastructure and orchestration tools such as Docker Swarm, Kubernetes, Rancher, Terraform.
- Understanding of basic networking systems and concepts such as inverse proxies, subnets, vlans, and firewalls.
- Understanding of clustering and load balancing concepts and technologies.
- Understanding of cloud distribution platforms such as AWS, GCP or Azure.
- Understanding of protocols/technologies which include HTTP, HTTP/2, SSL, TLS, HTML, XML, JSON, REST.
At Grand Canyon Education, it is our privilege to serve students and those who support academic advancement. We lead educational transformation by developing superior ways to help schools grow and prosper. We provide transparent programs, intuitive online learning technologies and well-established academic models that promote student success and institutional growth.
Employment is contingent upon the satisfactory outcome (as determined by the university) of pre-employment screening activities, including a background check.
Only candidates who submit a resume and complete the full application will be considered - anyone without a resume will be declined automatically. For assistance with your job application please use our External Candidate Job Application Guide.
All staff candidates will be asked to review GCE’s staff expectations as part of the application process.
Our partner in education, Grand Canyon University, is Arizona’s premier private Christian university. GCU serves traditional and online students by offering quality academic degree programs, experienced leadership and transformative learning experiences both on our growing campus and digitally.
If you’re interested in working for Grand Canyon University, visit jobs.gcu.edu.
For more information about Grand Canyon Education, Inc., visit gce.com