County of Bernalillo
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Court Security Officer
at County of Bernalillo
- Position Summary & Duties Responsible
Perform assignments involving the enforcement of measures prescribed to ensure the protection of individuals and property associate with the District Courts and adjacent facilities.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide protective services for judges, court personnel, and other individuals attending the District County legal proceedings. Direct and advise the general public and court personnel about security procedures established for the courts and promote the understanding and compliance with safety standards developed to ensure the welfare of the people.
- Escort prisoners during court proceedings using approved security methods and ensure that proper behavior is maintained. Conduct searches (as required) for weapons, materials, equipment, etc., that may jeopardize the safety of the general public. Maintain continuous surveillance of individuals within the courts and adjacent facilities.
- Assist correction officer, police officer, and sheriff deputies with various activities associated with security. Occasionally may be assigned to transport prisoners to local detention facilities, hospitals, mental health facilities and/or medical laboratories.
- Assist court administrators in emergency crisis planning and security matters.
- Conduct preliminary and follow-up investigations of criminal acts.
- Prepare and maintain accurate reports and records.
- Perform other job related duties as assigned or required.
*The above information on this job description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties and responsibilities required of all employees assigned to this job.
- Minimum Qualifications
- High school diploma or GED.
- Currently certified and re-certifiable as a peace officer by the State of New Mexico.
- Ability to understand and carry out written and oral instructions.
- Ability to develop and maintain productive work relationships with supervisors, other officers, other department personnel and court personnel.
- Ability to maintain law and order while recognizing the social importance of the law enforcement function.
- Ability to observe situations analytically and objectively and to record such clearly and completely orally and in writing.
- Must have excellent uniform appearance.
- Must be able to work with minimal supervision.
- Ability to communicate effectively with court staff, co-workers and the general public.
- Must successfully pass a file review and oral board. Any previous disciplinary action will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis.
- Supplemental Information
Screening and Compliance
The offer of this Bernalillo County position requires compliance with the following:
- Must be currently certified and/or re-certifiable law enforcement officer. Be a retired out of state or federal law enforcement officer who is certified and/or re-certifiable by the New Mexico Department of Public Safety (NMDPS), for consideration.
- Employee must successfully complete the post-offer employment medical examination.
- Employee must comply with the safety guidelines of the County.
- Must pass an eye and audio examination, with vision equal to or better than 20/60 - 20/100, both correctable to 20/30.
- Must have a valid New Mexico driver's license by employment date.
- Must pass a written and oral psychological examination.
- Must pass a background investigation authorized and performed by the BCSD.
- Must pass a polygraph examination.
- Must pass a Sheriffs review process.
- Must pass the prescribed physical agility test, meeting the 40th percentile as defined by the Cooper Institute.
- Must qualify quarterly with issued sidearm.
- The majority of essential duties are performed indoors in a climate controlled environment.
- Duties are performed on an even surface, which may be carpeted or tiled. Working surface is typically dry and may involve the use of stairs.
- Outdoor duties are sometimes required in performance of essential duties.
- Worker maybe exposed to natural weather conditions while performing outdoor duties.
- Outdoor surface may include natural ground, asphalt or concrete.
- Outdoor duties may involve the use of stairs or ladders and may be performed on inclines or hills.
- Worker often works alone, with or without direction from a supervisor. May work with a select team of one or more workers at times.
- Work hazards include a potential for physical confrontations, high stress level of job and exposure to bodily harm or possible death in the performance of certain job duties.
Equipment, Tools and Materials
- Equipment typically used in the performance of duties include a firearm, duty belt, handcuffs, expendable baton, chemical agent (mace), hand held radio, officer's uniform and badge, body armor, flashlight, first aid kit, flares, cardio-pulmonary resuscitation devices and security detection devices (such as x-ray detector, camera and monitors).
- Materials and products handled in performance of duties include; logs, writing utensils and various law enforcement/office/court forms and paperwork.
COUNTY OF BERNALILLO IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER