City of Phoenix
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Solid Waste Worker
at City of Phoenix
ABOUT THIS POSITION
This position performs a variety of manual and semi-skilled tasks associated with the daily operations of a transfer station. Employees are responsible for daily work assignments and direction of Arizona Department of Correction (ADOC) inmate work crews.
Currently, there are vacancies located in the Public Works Department, Solid Waste Diversion and Disposal Division at the 27th Avenue Transfer Station located near Lower Buckeye Road and 27th Avenue. In the Division, the position provides manual and semi-skilled labor to increase diversion of green organics from the transfer station to the Temporary Mulching Area and new Compost Facility. The position will direct the work of ADOC inmate labor crews across the transfer station including diversion area, pilot compost area for daily operational and maintenance functions. The position is also responsible for disassembling refuse containers, performing landscape maintenance, operating a variety of equipment, including a one-ton pickup van, and delivering seamless in-person customer service to transfer station and diversion area customers including routing and directing traffic.
The Temporary Mulching Area and Compost Facility are open from 5:30 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday through Friday, and 6 a.m. to 3 p.m. on Saturdays.
This recruitment may be used by any department for any current or future vacancies over the life of the eligible list.
Recruitment closes May 28, 2019. All materials must be received by 11:59 p.m. on this date.
$15.32 (minimum) - $19.42 (maximum) hourly / $31,866 - $40,394 annually.
Candidates may be hired above the minimum depending upon qualifications.
A comprehensive benefits package is offered which includes traditional pension with employer and employee contributions; choice of medical HMO, PPO, or HSA plan; dental; vision; life insurance; long-term disability; 401(a) and 457 plans; medical enrollment includes a monthly $150 City contribution to a Post-Employment Health Plan; bus/light rail pass; tuition reimbursement program; paid time off includes 11.5 paid holidays, 12 vacation days, and 15 sick days. For more details, visit: Unit 1 Benefits
- Minimum six-months experience of heavy manual work or experience providing skills using tools such as air compressors, air wrenches, impact wrenches, electronic drills and other hand tools.
- Maintain acceptable driving record, ADOC background checks and required annual training class.
- This classification requires the use of personal or City vehicles on City business. Individuals must be physically capable of operating the vehicles safely, possess a valid driver’s license and have an acceptable driving record.
- Some positions will require the performance of other essential and marginal functions depending upon work location, assignment, or shift.
- Perform heavy manual labor for extended periods of time in a variety of weather conditions with exposure to the outdoor elements.
- Effective oral and written communication skills.
- All candidates must pass department and AZ Dept of Corrections background checks before final offers of employment are made
- An equivalent combination of related experience and education may be considered.
- The City job description can be found here.
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS - The job requirements listed above, plus:
- Basic knowledge of operating mobile computers and electronic devices.
- Ability to operate a two-way radio.
HOW TO APPLY
Apply online by completing the required information and attaching, as one document, your cover letter and resume. Please include your experience as it relates to the qualifications stated above. Only the highest qualified may be posted to the eligible to hire list.
YOUR COVER LETTER AND RESUME, PLUS ANY OTHER REQUESTED MATERIAL, MUST BE IN ONE ATTACHMENT. Only online applications are accepted for this position. The results of the resume screening process will be sent to your primary email address.
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW
- All finalists for positions are subject to a criminal background check applicable to the department or position.
- For other important information related to employment with the City of Phoenix, please click here.
- Link to All City of Phoenix Employment Opportunities
- If you need assistance applying for this job, please contact our HR Connection Center at (602) 495-5700
Solid Wate Worker, JC: 70030, ID# 31834, 05/12/19, 6 mos, BR, Benefits: 007, Q
City of Phoenix employees commit to Work Smart, Be Kind, Spend Wisely.
City of Phoenix is an equal opportunity employer. AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service alumni who meet the required qualifications are encouraged to apply.