City of Aurora
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
at City of Aurora
- Summary of Job Duties
City of Aurora, Colorado
It is an exciting time to work for the City of Aurora, we're growing and looking for dedicated and collaborative individuals to join our team of talented and valued employees. Excellent organizations have a set of principles, or core values, that are used to implement their mission and vision. Those values represent the touchstone for the organization, guiding the decisions of the individuals and the organization. At the City of Aurora, we demonstrate our excellence by modeling the CORE 4 Values of: Integrity, Respect, Professionalism, and Customer Service, and we welcome all who share these values to apply.
Why Work for Aurora?
- Make a difference in the lives of real people every day
- Diverse community
- Competitive total compensation package
- Well-Funded General Employees Retirement Plan
- Light rail station minutes away
- On-site fitness center and overall employee well-being programs
- Internal educational programs to assist with career advancement
- Access to innovation workspaces
The Real Property Division of the Public Works Department conducts transactions on land acquisition and real estate for all city departments including the review of subdivision plats and site plans, annexations, street vacations, easement dedications and releases, land disposal, and leases.
This is a repost and will remain open until filled, if you have applied or interviewed for this position within the last 12 months, please DO NOT RE-APPLY.
- PRIMARY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
The Surveyor applies the principles and practices of land surveying to conduct all manner of field surveys; writing legal descriptions, control drawings, and plats, as well as other reports and documents resulting from the practice of land surveying.
- Prepares, stamps, and signs various survey types
- Prepares and records surveys with appropriate county authorities
- Prepares and files monument records in accordance with state statute
- Coordinates and performs field surveys including boundaries and ALTAs
- Coordinates and performs field data collection and layout for construction and design projects
- Determines and lays out right of way or easement lines on the ground
- Makes recommendations regarding project costs and time frames
- Researches city ownership, right-of-way, and other real property issues
- Plans, schedules and coordinates the work activities of assigned survey staff
- Provides technical advice and direction to assigned survey personnel
- May testify in court as an expert witness regarding land surveys
- Performs additional duties as assigned
- MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
- High School Diploma or GED
- Bachelor's Degree preferred
- At least 5 years progressively responsible professional experience in land surveying under a professional land surveyor. Supervisory/lead work experience preferred.
An equivalent combination of education, training, and experience that demonstrates required knowledge, skills, and abilities may be considered.
- Knowledge of State statutes, federal regulations, and codes related to land surveying; trigonometry; coordinate geometry, City design standards; GPS, state plane coordinates, applicable engineering concepts and principles, and COGO software.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships; operate survey equipment; read and interpret engineering and architectural drawings; write legal property descriptions; oversee assigned employees.
- Operating survey equipment; strong interpersonal skills; making mathematical calculations; strong written and oral communication skills.
Licenses and Certifications:
- Colorado Driver's License with a good driving history
- Land Surveyor Interns License
- WORKING CONDITIONS
- Moderate physical work requiring the ability to lift a maximum of 50 pounds, with or without assistance
- Occasional lifting of up to 100 pounds, with assistance
- Considerable walking and standing
- Regular bending, climbing, kneeling, stooping, digging, pushing and pulling to coordinate field operations
- Frequent hand/eye coordination to operate a computer keyboard and survey instruments
- Vision to read written reports, survey instruments, and written materials
- Hearing/listening and speech communication to maintain communication with employees, contractors, and citizens
- Works both indoors and outdoors in varying types of weather with some exposure to dust and noise; walks over varying terrain.
- Computer software (including AutoCAD, ArcMAP, Excel and Word)
- GPS receivers and other survey instruments
- Motor vehicle
- This position may require the incumbent to occasionally use personal equipment (e.g. vehicle, cell phone, tools, etc.) in the course of their employment
For Veterans points: Please show all of your employment history, including military service and related documentation (DD214) on the application.
The City of Aurora is an equal opportunity employer. We are required by state and federal agencies to keep certain statistical records on applicants. It will not be used in any way to discriminate against you because of your sex, race, age, sexual orientation, creed, national origin, disability or military status, gender identity, unless related to a bona fide occupational qualification as defined by the Colorado Civil Rights Commission and the Equal Opportunity Commission.
If you need assistance in completing this application, please feel free to contact our office at: 303-739-7225 or visit us at 15151 E Alameda Pkwy., Suite 3500, Aurora, CO 80012.
Despite the changes in Colorado law, the City of Aurora maintains a drug-free workplace. A positive test of marijuana is grounds for disqualification and ineligibility for employment with the city for one year or termination once hired.
Drug Testing, Thorough Criminal Background Check, and Employment References:
As a condition of employment, all applicants selected for employment with the City of Aurora must undergo a thorough criminal background check and drug screening. Employment references will be conducted on finalists for City of Aurora vacancies.