City of Aurora
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Maintenance & Operations Trainee
at City of Aurora
- Summary of Job Duties
City of Aurora, Colorado
It is an exciting time to work for the City of Aurora, we're growing and looking for dedicated and collaborative individuals to join our team of talented and valued employees. Excellent organizations have a set of principles, or core values, that are used to implement their mission and vision. Those values represent the touchstone for the organization, guiding the decisions of the individuals and the organization. At the City of Aurora, we demonstrate our excellence by modeling the CORE 4 Values of: Integrity, Respect, Professionalism, and Customer Service, and we welcome all who share these values to apply.
Why Work for Aurora?
- Make a difference in the lives of real people every day
- Diverse community
- Competitive total compensation package
- Well-Funded General Employees Retirement Plan
- Light rail station minutes away
- On-site fitness center and overall employee well-being programs
- Internal educational programs to assist with career advancement
- Access to innovation workspaces
Public Works, Street Operations
Improves and maintains our roadways, performs street sweeping and snow removal. They are seeking a semi-skilled and unskilled manual tasks operating trucks and equipment to maintain, construct and repair city streets and projects for the Public Works Department.
**This announcement may be used to fill multiple positions and will remain open until a sufficient pool of qualified applicants is obtained. **
*** You MUST obtain your Class B CDL within six months or you will be discharged. ***
- PRIMARY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Repair and maintenance of streets
- Loads and unloads tools
- Assists in snow removal on city property
- Operates and maintains specialized hand and power tools, vehicles and equipment such as jack hammers, shovels, tampers.
- Performs additional duties as assigned
- MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
- High School Diploma or GED
- Manual labor experience preferred
An equivalent combination of education, training, and experience that demonstrates required knowledge, skills, and abilities may be considered.
- Knowledge of practices and techniques of assigned maintenance function may be preferred
- Ability to perform manual labor for extended periods of time, outside and in all weather conditions
- Understand oral and written instructions
- Operate various types of maintenance and construction equipment
- Lift a minimum of 50 pounds with or without assistance
- Ability to work overtime, standby and call back duty
- Ability to respond to emergency call within 30 minutes
- Ability to obtain a Class B CDL within six (6) months in order to maintain employment
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Construction skills
- Skilled in the use of hand tools
- Skilled in the operation of construction equipment
Licenses and Certifications:
- Colorado drivers license with a good driving record
- Ability to obtain Colorado Class B CDL within six months of employment with training provided by the City of Aurora
- WORKING CONDITIONS
- Moderate physical work requiring the ability to lift a maximum of 50 pounds with or without assistance
- Considerable walking and standing; frequent pushing, pulling, bending, stooping/crouching and climbing
- Considerable hand/eye and hand/foot coordination for operation of tools, equipment and vehicles
- Some speech communication to give information
- Vision to read manuals and gauges and operate equipment
- Hearing/listening for instructions and warning signals
- Works primarily outdoors in both hot and cold weather with exposure to noise, dust, fumes, and chemicals
___________________________________________________________________For Veterans points: Please show all of your employment history, including military service and related documentation (DD214) on the application.
- Operates a variety of hand tools, power tools and other equipment common to construction and maintenance
- This position may require the incumbent to occasionally use personal equipment (e.g. vehicle, cell phone, tools, etc.) in the course of their employment
The City of Aurora is an equal opportunity employer. We are required by state and federal agencies to keep certain statistical records on applicants. It will not be used in any way to discriminate against you because of your sex, race, age, sexual orientation, creed, national origin, disability or military status, gender identity, unless related to a bona fide occupational qualification as defined by the Colorado Civil Rights Commission and the Equal Opportunity Commission.
If you need assistance in completing this application, please feel free to contact our office at: 303-739-7225 or visit us at 15151 E Alameda Pkwy., Suite 3500, Aurora, CO 80012.
Despite the changes in Colorado law, the City of Aurora maintains a drug-free workplace. A positive test of marijuana is grounds for disqualification and ineligibility for employment with the city for one year or termination once hired.
Drug Testing, Thorough Criminal Background Check, Employment References, and Education Verification:
As a condition of employment, all applicants selected for employment with the City of Aurora must undergo a thorough criminal background check and drug screening. Employment references will be conducted on finalists for City of Aurora vacancies. Submittal of official transcripts of the most relevant/highest level of education listed on the application.